Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

300 WIn Mag

Ray_Z

I am considering the purchase of a 300 win mag bolt gun. I have reloaded both rifle and pistol most of my life. But I have never reloaded a belted cartradge before. After talking to some shooters that have, I am being told that this case can only be reloaded maybe half a dozen times before the belt swells beyond spects and will not chamber.I am also being told that the belt cannot be sized. And that this is a simular situation to brass that was shot in a Glock pistol. That is to say that the size die doesn't actually do anything to the bottom of the cartradge case. Is this true? Is there anything that I can get to resize the belt if this happens? Any other comments or techniques you can offer?

http://www.larrywillis.com/ These guys make a collet resizer die for belted cases. I have no experience with the tool or the company, just sharing some info.

My dad taught me that I'd learn a lot more with my ears than I would with my mouth. He was right. I thought that the problem was with the belt on the case. Not the portion just above it. Your link was very informative. That die just makes since. Thank you

All of the belted magnums I've loaded, crack just up from the belt. It sucks when most of the fired case is still in your chamber! :surprise:

That's a sign that you are sizing the cases too much. You need to adjust your sizing die until the bolt just closes easily on a fired case. The idea is to headspace your cases on the shoulder and not the belt.

I have quite a few hot loads (over 10, but I've lost accurate count) on my 7mm Rem Mag brass and the only issue I'm running into are loose primer pockets. I've never seen the belt expand too much for the case to be used. I'd say go for it, set your dies up properly and you'll have no problems.