Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magwells in Single Stack

jcmcn

Sorry if this has been written of before -- I can't seem to find it. Are magwells a permitted modification to the Single Stack division? I can't see a specific prohibition of it in the rule book, bit someone I know insists it's illegal when shooting traditional 8 round, major power factor single stack.

Thanks for any guidance.

Sorry if this has been written of before -- I can't seem to find it. Are magwells a permitted modification to the Single Stack division? I can't see a specific prohibition of it in the rule book, bit someone I know insists it's illegal when shooting traditional 8 round, major power factor single stack.

Thanks for any guidance.

Legal as long as the gun with mag inserted fits in the "box"

Thanks for any guidance.

Legal as long as the gun with mag inserted fits in the "box"

Thanks very much for the quick answer. Forgive me for asking dumb question #2, but, what "box" do you mean?

Thanks for any guidance.

IPSC doesn't have Single Stack Division, but USPSA does (guessing that's what you meant). If it fits the box, it's legal for SS. R,

• 1 month later...

If it fits the box, it's legal for SS. R,

So would a Caspian race ready rec that comes with a magwell built on be legal if it fits in the box ?

Yes, but it may not make weight. Caspians tend to run on the heavy side to start with, and that RR is even heavier. There are some places you can remove material from the frame (like under the grip panels), but you can only remove so much. I'd want to weigh it very carefully (with a mag) to make sure it's easily a couple of tenths under 430z (the limit). R,

If it fits the box, it's legal for SS. R,

So would a Caspian race ready rec that comes with a magwell built on be legal if it fits in the box ?

Yes, but it may not make weight. Caspians tend to run on the heavy side to start with, and that RR is even heavier. There are some places you can remove material from the frame (like under the grip panels), but you can only remove so much. I'd want to weigh it very carefully (with a mag) to make sure it's easily a couple of tenths under 430z (the limit). R,

Thanks for the quick reply, I was thinking the same thing about under the grips,

I have milled several to look like Colts and earlier Caspians under the grips. It helps some.