Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

case sizing .40

Beaz

New to reloading got Dillion 550 all set up and adjusted so i thought. Ran my first lot of 50, case gauging all of them. went out to the range to chrono them and cases are to tight in barrel. shooting a glock 24c by the way. Now I'm scratching my head what to do. anybody have any thoughts? Thanks

If they dropped in and out of the gauge with no problem I would look at the oal. They may be too long. Take the barrel out of the gun and drop the rounds in the chamber. They should fall right in and right out with a sort of ker-plop. If they don't you can seat the bullet ever so slightly deeper as long as you are not loading near the max charge. Try the drop test again until they fit.

I have never had anything pass a gauge and not fit my Glock barrel. Is it a stock Glock barrel?

What bullet? What oal?

If they dropped in and out of the gauge with no problem I would look at the oal. They may be too long. Take the barrel out of the gun and drop the rounds in the chamber. They should fall right in and right out with a sort of ker-plop. If they don't you can seat the bullet ever so slightly deeper as long as you are not loading near the max charge. Try the drop test again until they fit.

I have never had anything pass a gauge and not fit my Glock barrel. Is it a stock Glock barrel?

What bullet? What oal?

+1 Check the OAL.

The KKM barrel is a fully suported chamber right? You may need to use a Redding GRx die on the brass. Which case gauge were you using?

I used to use a barrel to gauge but still found myself with rounds that would function.

Edited by Alfie

Hmmm. If they are tight in the chamber then check that your sizer die is just kissing the shellplate. It has to get down as low as possible. If that doesn't help then you might have to invest in a U-die. Or go the GRX route as mentioned above. But that requires another press and another step in the process. Check your sizer die first.

Edited by Sarge

I loaded berrys didnt like the bullets just seemed like I would have to do some extra work but that is just my opinion.. when I loaded em my o.a.l was 1.125 my taper crimp was @ .420 that (-/+) of your measurements might matter when you are using a Matchgrade barrel. I it continues you might wonna add the U-Die or GR-X die to your shopping list along with a single stage press! Good luck!!

Good comment on double checking your crimp. If it looks good, make sure you try to drop in a factory round. If that won't drop, you need to have the chamber "fine-tuned." If the factory round drops in, get out your calipers and compare measurements of the hand loads and factory loads. That could give you a hint of where the problem lies.

BTW, I end up using a Redding GRx on about 5% of my 40s and it works beautifully--just slows you down.

Edited by FLSlim