Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Call me Crazy!

10sRin

I've lurked here for some time, and been a member for a short time. I see that most all are either using .45 or 357 with some 38 Super thrown in. I've found a PC 44 that I just love the "LOOKS" of. Already have a 44 that I don't use much if at all. Does anyone shoot a 44 in any of the competition games. I guess I need an excuse to part with a grand. I will not hunt with it, just absolutely love the looks, as already stated. I certainly don't need it, but I want it, and just trying to find out if it could be used in competition? Thx, Joe.

I shot IPSC for several years using a 4" M29 I had it cut for Moonclips and used .44 Russian Cases. Worked great and liked it a lot.

But, the Moon Clips are a bit expensive, compared to .45 ACP, and there's not much choice of RN Bullets. 240 grain Lead is about all I've found, never found any Jacketed.

The Speedloaders for .44's are ok, but not competition types.

If you're plans are to shoot locally with an occassional larger match, a .44 would be fun to do.

If you get serious you'll end up going with a .45.

PM me if you need some load data.

One other thing is be careful of the PC guns, they usually don't justify the extra expense.

Dave

Edited by pskys2

Good Evening,

I played around with a "custom" 629 that I found on Gunbroker. I bought it for the same reason, it looked cool!

I won SSR MM at the S&W Indoor Nationals with it. I then bought a 4 inch 629, the first one was 3.5 inch, and I won SSR SS at Blackwater one year. I have not shot the 44s in a while but they were fun.

I used Safariland Comp one speed loaders and drew them from my vest pocket as there were not any holders that would work well with a Comp one.

You can run a 240 grain bullet at around 500 fps to make minor power factor, but at that speed your trajectory has quite an arch. I shot the 240s at around 750 fps to flatten out the travel.

I built a .44 Auto Mag revolver that uses modified .45 moon clips for Bowling Pins. I've used it in some generic "combat" or "action" matches that had heavy steel plates or 4 x 4s that had to get cut in two. More horsepower than a .45 auto, only slightly slower to reload, lots of fun. Maybe I'm a little crazy too. :cheers:

Edited by Toolguy