Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 switch from .40 to 9mm Q

Let's say I want to switch from .40 to 9mm on my 650, and I'm cheap. Assuming I have a small case-feed plate in the case feeder, and I don't mind taking all my dies out of my tool head and loosing all my settings, all I really need is a caliber conversion for 9mm, correct?

Let's say I want to switch from .40 to 9mm on my 650, and I'm cheap. Assuming I have a small case-feed plate in the case feeder, and I don't mind taking all my dies out of my tool head and loosing all my settings, all I really need is a caliber conversion for 9mm, correct?

Yes, you could just purchase caliber conversion and dies. You would have to reset all of your dies and powder measure every time you want to change the press.

Trey

Yes, and 9 dies of course. But for only $35.45, you can get a Toolhead & Powder Die and then you'll never adjust dies again!

be

Yes, and 9 dies of course. But for only $35.45, you can get a Toolhead & Powder Die and then you'll never adjust dies again!

be

That would be my choice as well. $36 is a small investment considering the time to set up the toolhead each time.

Trey

Yep.

How would I know if I have a large or small case-feed plate? Is it written on it, or is there a part number printed on it by any chance? I bought the press (for .40) years ago, and I can't remember which option I selected.

Yes, you could just purchase caliber conversion and dies. You would have to reset all of your dies and powder measure every time you want to change the press.

Trey

Or you could get some of those Hornady Sure-Loc Die Locking Rings. Adjust your dies and lock the rings and there set. You would still have to adjust the powder funnel but the rest would stay set.

How would I know if I have a large or small case-feed plate? Is it written on it, or is there a part number printed on it by any chance? I bought the press (for .40) years ago, and I can't remember which option I selected.

I'm pretty sure the plate will say Large (or Small) Pistol on it. And in case it has the SKU on it it is: 21072 (Large Pistol). (21073 for Small Pistol.) If you bought the Casefeed Plate for Dillon, and said it was for 40 S&W, there is a 99% chance it is a Large Pistol Casefeed Plate.

Well as for me I have to have each toolhead setup and ready. Because it never fails. The night before a match is when I'll get around to loading ammo. It sucks to have to set all that up and finally get loading at 10:30PM, then have to get up in the morning, drive 2 hours to the match. Us old farts needs our sleep! :cheers:

Buy that toolhead and powder die!