Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the trigger spring for?

dagger10k

I know this sounds stupid, but the one thing I really don't get about glocks is what the trigger spring is for. I've heard it has something to do with resetting the trigger, but it seems to pull the trigger rearwards? Would increasing the strength of the spring make the trigger pull lighter? Does anyone make springs for this purpose?

I know the obvious thing would be to assemble my Glock with the spring missing, and see how it functions, but just from looking at it, it really seems that not having the spring would still have the gun functioning just fine.

Confused,

James

You can fire the Glock without the trigger spring as long as you do a proper reset trigger pull. IOW, pull the trigger and hold it to the rear while it fires. It will continue to work. If you don't, the trigger will not reset without the spring.

A stronger spring reduces trigger pull weight. Yes, aftermarket ones exist.

To build on that post, it does appear to pull trigger to the rear but it's intent is to pull the cruciform (trigger bar) upward. There is an alternate form of spring (New York Trigger) that only pushes the trigger bar without any rear ward pull. This is used to achieve higher trigger pulls (8-12lbs accordingly).

Yep, want2race is correct. Most of the good trigger jobs utilize an extra power trigger spring and reduced power striker and safety plunger springs. I wound my own stronger trigger spring before they were available, but I guess I was not that innovative since they were out in the market within 6 months, and I told NO-ONE!

A lot of guys like the NY spring for "durability". A NY1 trigger spring with a good 3.5# connector and a polish can actually get a very good crisp steady trigger pull around 5 pounds or so. It almost feels like a good revolver trigger like this, but catching the link is more difficult. I know of a few guys that run this in USPSA production with very good results as it removes the bounce at the break which can degrade accuracy, and costs about $15.

As you pull the Glock trigger to the rear, an angled portion of the trigger bar at the rear slides down the angled ramp of the connector, while another portion of the trigger bar called the "cruciform sear plate" which butts up against a lug coming off the bottom of the firing pin pushes the firing pin to the rear, in the process compressing the firing pin spring. As the trigger bar - and thus the cruciform sear plate - continues to the rear, the connector causes the sear plate to slide lower and lower on the lug of the firing pin, until finally the two parts lose contact and the firing pin flies forward to fire the gun. The purpose of the trigger spring is to pull the rear of the trigger bar, and the cruciform sear plate, back up after firing so it can catch the lug on the firing pin, and reset the trigger action, as the slide travels forward.

Clear as mud, right? :lol:

• 1 month later...