Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SJC mount on a Glock 17

ChopperDoc

What is involved in installing the SJC mount on a G17? Is it a DIY project? I have a drill press, taps, dies & the skills to use them. Also have a friend with a machine shop but he's not a gunsmith. If all that is involved is to match drill two holes, I think I can handle that.

Can someone can post the SJC instruction manual

?

Edited by ChopperDoc

It is a little more involved than just drilling 2 holes, but not a huge deal. The front of the mount obviously needs a hole drilled in the frame and there are threaded inserts that need inletted into the frame so that the guide rod will clear. Using a mill would have been nice, but I managed with a dremel. I bought mine new, but out of the package and didn't receive an instruction manual.

As far as I know their never was any instructions, you want to put on the mount with the trigger pin replacement screw use a couple of sight mount screws against the slide to level it. Mark and drill your holes for the cylinder portion of the internal retaining nut, heat up the rim portion of the nut and push it into place. That's how John Nagel does it, the flat part of the rim goes to the bottom. Don't heat it up in the frame, hold it with needle nose pliers, get it just hot enough to push flush on the inside of the frame. It shall become one with the frame if done correctly.

Here you go..Any questions let me know

Gen 2 glock 24c frame (barrel and slide for sale on another forum)

Remsport slide

KKM barrel

SJC 4 port comp

SJC c-more mount

SJC slide racker

Dawson mag well ( have the sjc but its just a little to big for my hands)

Ghost rocket connecter

alot of trigger work

Very short pull and almost no take up

post-18180-056078500 1289962409_thumb.jp

Remsport slide

KKM barrel

SJC 4 port comp

SJC c-more mount

SJC slide racker

Ghost rocket connecter

alot of trigger work

Maybe I am missing something, but it looks to me that the ejection port is completely covered by the SJC mount.

Remsport slide

KKM barrel

SJC 4 port comp

SJC c-more mount

SJC slide racker

Ghost rocket connecter

alot of trigger work

Maybe I am missing something, but it looks to me that the ejection port is completely covered by the SJC mount.

GhopperDoc:

You will have to have your ejection port lowered and extractor/ejector tuned. Call SJC about these MODS for reliability.

• 1 month later...

I finally got it complete. Had to order new screws from SJC after I buggered one up. Applyed the locktite Sunday night & was planning to zero the C-More monday after work. We got 8 inches of snow here in Huntsville. Everything shut down on Monday & Tuesday including the indoor gun range! I'll get some pics up soon of the finished product.

Thanks for everyones help!

Vic

Took some pictures tonight. Wife is out of town with the good camera (thats my story & I'm sticking to it!)

DSC00031.jpg

DSC00027.jpg

DSC00026.jpg

What Magwell is that on this gun in the picture?

I think it is from JP enterprizes. I got it either from Brownells or Midway, I don't remember which. I like it for the way it helps position my hand on the grip as well as helping speed up reloads

Edited by ChopperDoc

what caveats are there to mounting SJC on a second gen Glock 22?

Not really sure what you are asking. Since the main difference between the 2nd Gen & 3rd Gen are the grip bumps and rail, there should not be much difference, installation wise. As mentioned earlier in this post, I had to have the ejection port milled down (lowered). I have a friend who has the greatest machine shop in his backyard so he handled that for me. I used a drill press to drill the frame but I'd bet that SJC has a jig they use. Properly positioning the frame while you drill it is the biggest concern. I am an FAA A&P mechanic and have past experience drilling & installing modifications on helicopters so I felt I could tackle this. The second biggest challenge was to heat the bushings so that they would seat completely in the frame. This is what took some time to figure out. What I ended up doing is buying a Weller heat tool. It is similar to a soldering iron but specifically made for cutting & shaping plastic objects. (20 bucks in Loews). It came with a pin shaped tip which I threaded to the same size as the bushing so I was able to insert the bushing, thread the pin & heat the bushing enough to pull it into the plastic far enough to seat it. If it is not seated all the way, the slide will rub on it. Like I mentioned, lots of trial & error & knowing when to quit for the night before you screw something up!

I wanted to do it myself and save the cost & hassle of sending it to them. If I lived within driving distance, I would have had SJC do it.

Edited by ChopperDoc

different locking blocks too. the gen 2 guns are slightly different internally.

I have several Glocks ( G17, 35, 34, & 21) but all are 3rd Gen. Yes, the 3rd gen guns have the extra pin in the locking block. However, it does not change the installation of the mount

there are three pin gen 2 guns. they have a totally different locking block, (one that is out of production) but this is neither here nor there. specifically i was inquiring about potential problems with the installation in regard to the front set of holes and mounting on the different frame. not all frames measure the same externally either. the older ones tend to vary more than the newest

there are three pin gen 2 guns. they have a totally different locking block, (one that is out of production) but this is neither here nor there. specifically i was inquiring about potential problems with the installation in regard to the front set of holes and mounting on the different frame. not all frames measure the same externally either. the older ones tend to vary more than the newest

Well like I said, I no experance with anything other than 3rd gen Glocks. Since the trigger assy parts are interchangable from 2nd to 3rd gen gun I would think the trigger pin hole is in the same place. What I did was to install the mount with the screw that replaces the trigger pin , position the mount where I wanted it, clamp it then drill a pilot holes on each side. I removed the mount and opened the hole up to the size of the bushings. Heat up the bushing to seat them.

Edited by ChopperDoc

Got mine installed tonight. Thanks everyone for your posts and comments.

IMAG0074.jpg

You might want to consider one of the extended take down latches. They are under 10 bucks, I think I got mine from Midway. It hardly looks any longer but you can really feel the difference when trying to depress the latch with the mount installed