Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dust cover length?

zaxx

Hello everyone,

This is my first post. However, I have been lurking for some time. My apologies.

I am also relatively new to the world of Tanfoglio. I have an Elite Match. By nosing around

on this forum I am learning some of the "ins and outs," "do's and don'ts" of upgrades I am

considering for my pistol. Even though my skillset will never tax the capability the gun as

it comes new, right out of the box, I see no harm in upgrades... Therefore, I appreciate the

candor of the posters who have been there before me!

I'd like to get member's thoughts regarding dust cover length. i.e., does the longer bearing surface

of the Limited frame offer a mechanical advantage over that of the Match frame? Does the longer

frame mitigate the rocking tendency of the slide during recoil - flatten the path of the slide?

Does it even matter? Just curious...

Thanks,

zaxx

I can't find the article now, but it was generally about having a custom gun built, and what features and gee-gahs one might want on a gun. One of the topics covered in the article was the matter a full length dust cover or not. In general, the extra mass up front helps with cutting down on the muzzle flip thanks to Newton's laws of physics. The price paid, though is that the extra mass means it's a little slower to move the gun around also thanks to physics. Early on in someone's shooting career, reducing muscle flip is more helpful than target to target transition speed. Later, getting to the next target faster would be more important.

(For about a year, I was shooting L-10 with my Match 40. A few months ago, I transitioned to a Limited 40. Although, I can't feel the recoil difference, but I do notice that the front sight doesn't quite move up as much. I don't know whether it's a function of the longer dust cover, or the lighter load that polygonal barrel lets me run, or a combination of both.)

Thanks for your response, Skydiver.

I can see that muzzle flip and transition speed would be of concern to more sophisticated shooters/ competitors.

I've got a ways to go before those things bother me...

I was curios because I didn't recall seeing any threads that dealt with slide to frame fit, wear patterns, short vs

long rail systems, etc,.

Thanks again,

zaxx

• 5 months later...

I believe this design is more geared twords helping with accuracy of the pistol overall, the full length rail, bull barrel, and cone lock slide aspects added weight also to help with muzzel rise. The degree the weight reduces its ease of carry and aim speed is a problem than can be associated with most all wepons except those designed to be more light weight and considered more combat accurate.

• 8 months later...

Glock designed his gun to be combat ready and

took miltary modifications. But I can't commit on

that it is a self defense question. Combat and

shooting competition are not the same. Soviets

use the most dynamic position on their backs

when shooting combat or sniping. I can't

commit on that, it has to do with real life

threatening and combat training.

In combat you can't just be zippy, flashy, and fast,

you will lose....You have to be smart as well.

Edited by Arbutrator

Glock designed his gun to be combat ready and

took miltary modifications. But I can't commit on

that it is a self defense question. Combat and

shooting competition are not the same. Soviets

use the most dynamic position on their backs

when shooting combat or sniping. I can't

commit on that, it has to do with real life

threatening and combat training.

In combat you can't just be zippy, flashy, and fast,

you will lose....You have to be smart as well.

WTF does this has to do with the topic ?

I'm not sure if you are aware this is not a combat forum

Edited by Scoobb

Sigs first P210's came with a full length dust cover and even a Heavy version. Les Baer does the same with his Monolith Heavy frame. Our Limited, full dust cover. In some shooting sports the heavy gun will out shoot the comp barrel guns. I do like a full dust cover all steel gun.

• 2 weeks later...