Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

opinion on SIG P226 USPSA

blaster113

I tried the search function to no avail. I'm looking to buy a new 9mm SIG soon to play with in Production. I'm torn between buying a regular P226R and adding on Dawson sights, and the alloy P226 USPSA. I had a stainless P226 in .40 and felt it was a little too heavy and felt sluggish on transitions, though it shot pretty soft. I read two reviews in Front Sight, and I'm still not sure about the beavertail. Does that beavertail make the gun easier to shoot? The four other SIG's I've owned were all "tailess". I've handled tail equipped SIG's in gun stores but never actually shot one. Opinions? With either gun I'm going to have trigger work done later. It seems that most people don't have a favorable opinion on the new SRT trigger.

I have a P229 Dark Elite and LOVE the beavertail. It really lets me get my hand up high on the gun and control the recoil. As far as the SRT goes, I personally think it feels great, but I don't have a "tuned" trigger finger at all.

My vote is Buy It. :cheers:

- Alex

I bought a 226 X-5 to shoot in Production. It's a big, heavy (45 oz.) chunk of stainless, it has the beavertail and I love everything about it. I believe the beavetail does help get your grip up. The weight of the gun makes 9mm feel like a .22 LR. But then I like a heavy gun.

I do not have the Sig SRT kit, so cannot comment on it. I did have work done on the trigger which resulted in a 7.5 to 8 lb. DA trigger and right at 2.25 lb. single action trigger with a nice short reset.

With the addition of magazine basepads, I shoot it in Limited(minor). 24 + 1 is a great way to start a Limited stage.

The inherent accuracy of the Sig and the light recoil make shooting minor PF in Limited kind of a moot point.

My vote is to go for it.

Bill

Edited to correct some poor English.

Edited by Duane Thomas

I have both the USPSA Stainless frame 226 and an X-5 Allround. Both guns are very accurate and very well fit. I think the beavertail ia a good addition to the Sig pistols. I think it is eaiser to get a good grip and it feels higher than my Sig without the beavertail. I will not buy another Sig that does not have the beavertail frame.

OK, I'll think I'm going to get the alloy frame USPSA 226. I can get the USPSA version for only $200 more than a standard 226R so I think thats the route I'll go. It seems the heavier two tone USPSA 226 is no longer listed on the SIG website. Discontinued?

You mentioned possibly having trigger work done in the future, but are leery of the factory SRT kit. Gray Guns does a trigger job that reduces the reset to the "shortest possible" using parts they designed IIRC. I haven't shot one, but they seem to have a very good reputation on some boards.

You mentioned possibly having trigger work done in the future, but are leery of the factory SRT kit. Gray Guns does a trigger job that reduces the reset to the "shortest possible" using parts they designed IIRC. I haven't shot one, but they seem to have a very good reputation on some boards.

I definitely plan to send the 226 to Grayguns for one of their trigger jobs. Per their website they're not taking any new business till next year. Hopefully my tax return will be available when they start taking new business so I can get their Competition package. Stock SIG D/A pulls do seem to be measured in metric tons as others have written...

The wife is still pissed that I NEED another competition gun after I just ordered a Brazos Limited gun at the Nationals, so she'll blow her top if she knew how much the trigger work is gonna cost :devil::devil::devil:

I definitely plan to send the 226 to Grayguns for one of their trigger jobs. Per their website they're not taking any new business till next year. Hopefully my tax return will be available when they start taking new business so I can get their Competition package. Stock SIG D/A pulls do seem to be measured in metric tons as others have written...

I have several GGI tuned Sig race guns. If you go the SRT equipped pistol route, you'll be throwing those parts away. GGI doesn't use the SRT parts for their competition trigger work. You might be better off purchasing the more standard P226 and adding the sights you want later. You won't get the beavertail though.

My recommendation to you would be to get a two toned alloy framed P226. The natural finished stainless steel slide is a lot easier on the aluminum frame rails than a Nitron coated stainless steel slide. With proper lubrication, you'll have a long lasting shooter.

I just sent my carbon slide 226 to GGI this year for the competition package. The DA is very smooth with no stacking and the SA is incredible. Being a carbon slide instead of stainless, I couldn't get the Ti firing pin block and spring upgrade, but I think I got just about everything else. :D

Thank you for the kind compliments for our SIG action work.

I do believe that the X5 is needlessly heavy and ponderous for Production. If life were one long Bill Drill contest, maybe so, but not for run and gun work. As well, the X5 is not adequately reliable in it's current form.

A straight-up P226-9 is a more practical basis for putting together a competitive SIG in my opinion.

-Bruce