Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hazmat question

Patrick Sweeney

It is almost embarrassing to admit, but it has been a while since I have bought components. Between the mountains of stuff I already had, and the requirements of work, I haven't gotten any in a while.

A question on the hazmat fee; this is $20 per shipment, right? So if you buy a little box of primers form one place, you get socked with $20, and a mere pound of powder from someone else, that's another $20, right?

If you order up a pallet of primers, it is still $20?

And yes, the least time I bought stuff was before the hazmat fee.

The fee, weight limits, and whether they will allow both primers and powders under the same hazmat fee varies with the vendor.

From the various vendors I've used, I've paid from $20-$25 for the fee and the weight limit is from 40 to 48 lbs per box. Some are fine with mixing primers with powder under 1 fee while others require separate fees.

From all the pricing I've done lately, unless you have a wholesale connection on powder and primers, you'll do much better buying locally. Of course, if you live in the sticks, that may be a problem.

My local clubhouse sells primers for the same price as Midway, Powder Valley, etc. With my 5% club discount, after taxes it's cheaper than ordering with the Hazmat fee.

For some reason, my clubhouse sells powder for less than what I've found online. With my discount, I save some bucks.