Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a Revolver Gunsmith

jmcmanis

I just purchased the 4" .357 Windicator from EAA. The gun is pretty sweet except for a few issues I'm not too happy with.

1. The gun doesn't have adjustable sights. Henning Wallgren makes a fiber optic front sight that I would like cut in. I would like to have an adjustable rear sight cut into the rear.

2. I was wanting the gun for a carry gun. I ordered the clip draw, but, the double sided sticky tape doesn't seem to work to well. It just peels off.

3. I was kinda liking to have some porting done

4. Trigger job. Factory was about 14 pounds double and 6 pounds single action.

5. Maybe a hard chrome job.

If anyone knows someone that would be able to help me. I would appreciate it.

Thanks in Advance,

James McManis

I don't even know where to begin with this...

A Windicator is not a gun you wanna put money into, as you will never, ever, ever get it back. On any gun, adding an adjustable sight where there isn't one already is gonna be crazy expensive. I can't comment on the clipdraw, as I've never used one. Porting doesn't actually do much, especially in a snub revolver, and will make it illegal for all competitions except USPSA Open. As for the trigger job, I doubt you'll be able to find a gunsmith who'll work on one. I know a lot of gunsmiths won't work on Taurus revolvers because with the supposed lower quality of parts they can't do a consistent enough job to stake their reputations on. As for the hard chrome, if it's a brand new gun and there's nothing wrong with the finish, why bother?

What I'd recommend is to sell the Windicator and get a used 2 1/2" S&W 66. It's short, shiny, reliable, the trigger can be easily made very nice by yourself or any number of gunsmiths, the clipdraw attaches with a screw, and forget about the porting, it's a better idea on paper then in practice.

First off, you live in Ohio like I do and unless they have changed the CCW law recently you must use a holster (I don't believe the "ClipDraw" qualifies as a holster but you need to check with the Ohio AG)! I also agree that you should not put a lot of money in it. Should you have to use it the police will take it and you may never see it again....bummer. Porting is not good because it will mess up your vision at night should you need to fire it at night. As far as someone to work on it...haven't a clue.

FWIW

Richard

If it is a carry gun I would follow the advise above and sell it. Replace it with a S&W 66 that is dependable and proven. I also would not do a trigger job on a carry gun do to the way the courts look at things like that if you ever have to use it. If you find a nice S&W it won't need a trigger job.

Actually, I would have the SA removed from any carry revo. By having that done you can't be accused of cocking the revo. and having an AD due to a light SA trigger pull. I have read this advise from experts and lawyers.

FWIW

Richard

I have to agree with the other posts that I would not dump alot of money into it. A carry weapon should be safe, simple, practical, and functional. Customization will compromise function and simplicity. But if you are steadfast to have something done to it may I suggest Mark Hartshorne of Pinnacle Guns in Kempton PA. Great pistolsmith who specializes in wheelguns and is good at it. (He has a website)The revo in my avatar was built by him.