Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting the Practical standing

Ahab

So, despite my relatively young age, I have a terrific knee injury from my misspent youth that makes "getting down" for the practical a difficult and kind of painful process. In 2009, at my very first Cup every I shot the Practical standing the whole way, and IIRC had some mikes at 50 yards. I can however get down in to a seated position, which is a bit more stable than standing pretty quickly; so I'm wondering 2 things.

1. Any advice on shooting standing at 50 yards and not sucking?

2. Would dropping down to a seated position be legal.

I'm shooting production and metallic, which further complicates the issue since I don't have the luxury of riding the dot.

Ahab,

If you can get down at 50y it will definetly be a benefit. Even if you are slow, and most of us are, shooting a little quickly prone may be better than standing.

As far as I know seated or kneeling is not allowed. The only choices are prone or standing, don't know why, but that is the way I recall the rules. Kevin or Alan can (and most likely will) put me right.

Practice the hell out of standing if you just can;t do teh prone thing. I have done it (I broke my ankle in 2003) and there were some 5's, but the bullseye guys get real small groups at 50y one handed. For tips on this talk to Brian Zins, he shot standing one handed at one match I saw him at. Real good as well.

My tip for accuracy at 50 is to just take your time. You do have swags. Just keep the dot in the middle as you squeeze up on the trigger, dot try and drive into the middle. Practice the hell out of it on a stationary target for as many rounds as it takes. 8" is real big when it wants to eb and real small when you need it to be big.

One main thing to remember is follow through. Just hold still THROUGH the shot, till after the bullet is in the berm. Do NOT try to counteract the recoil. Hold all muscles at the same tension. I used to shoot Metallic Silhouette standing double action from 50 to 200 meters that way. It can be done.

I had to go to the NRA webpage and find it again. Before they messed up the rules and did away with our prone the rule used to say "freestyle". When they chaged the rules back they specifically mention prone and nothing else. This is in section 7 under the Practical rules. Section 5 does talk about shooting positions and says that there is no limitation on positions except for shooting prone. It says that no part of the body may go forward of the firing line. There is just enough room in there to say that sitting "may" be allowed. I did see one shooter sit while shooting the Practical at the regional in Bates City.

Before I tried this at Bianchi I would get a ruling from NRA. We can debate this to death but they are the ones calling the shots.

Damien, care to comment?

Would a lawn chair be OK?

I like to be relaxed.

BEing clear and concise is never going to happen.

So I have changed the names of the divisions to help you all out.

The problem is that it is no longer freestyle or open.

It is now to be 1. slightly restricted. 2. A little more restricted and no optics, and finally, 3. Really restricted but a shit load of money up for grabs.

Due to a variety of physical maladies I can't go prone very easily as well , certainly not within the time allotted for the 50 yard stage. Its possible to shoot decent scores standing, it requires more technique and finesse with stance, grip, trigger manipulation sight alignment and follow through. But man its hard--especially under time pressure and match conditions. Sometimes I crash and burn, sometimes I do pretty good. Here are some fundamentals that work pretty good for me--

First is your stance--ensure that when you draw and present your firearm its within your "natural point of aim" --the key here is line up properly so you don't "muscle" the gun to get the sights on target after you present it.

Ensure your two hand grip is firm but neutral with not too much torque left or right

Start prepping the trigger as the sights are settling on target

Ensure you have PERFECT sight alignment--with the sight radius of most production guns only slight angular misalignment of front sight and rear notch equals huge deviations at 50 yards

Be confident with your "wobble" area--the sights will move--just ensure the front and rear sight move together with perfect sight alignment on the target

Press the trigger smoothly without "ambushing" and driving the trigger back into the frame. As the gun fires, see the front sight lift, then let it settle and pause for a split second. Follow through is important especially if you're shooting standard velocity .38 special. Stay with it and before you know it the "mikes" will become 5's and the 5's will become 8's etc. Good luck!

Would a lawn chair be OK?

I like to be relaxed.

BEing clear and concise is never going to happen.

So I have changed the names of the divisions to help you all out.

The problem is that it is no longer freestyle or open.

It is now to be 1. slightly restricted. 2. A little more restricted and no optics, and finally, 3. Really restricted but a shit load of money up for grabs.

Go have a few snorts of Coatsy's shine. You seem a little uptight.

The word I'm getting is that there will be $100k for all 3 divisions.

1920-188x Open

1918 Metallic

1900 Production

I should say that they are working on it. Nothing carved in stone.

Kevin,

I was actually test driving the last of what I had as I wrote, I have now see to the unveiling of a new bottle of Makers Mark. The more of these I can empty the more I can bring with me, so I see it as my civic duty to empty bottles.

I have enough trouble shooting 1920 (refer above), let alone 180+ X's. I have to admit I would be happy with 1920 48X and shoot donuts all day.

1918 Metallic has already been done, but he was stiffed on the recognition. I would really like to see that again.

100K for all three. I think we may have to be real nice to the sponsors again this year. Mr Midway did very well out of me and is about to again. I just cracked the bosses credit card for $6K of parts, he will be pleased. :devil:

Ahab,

The purpose of prone is to take the wobble out of the arms. Sitting still leaves you with the same wobble in the arms and a twisted bowel!!!

Legs generally are not a problem, so I dont see an advantage in sitting.

The disadvantage I see is the time taken to get into a seated position. This time would be better spent getting a good sight picture and SQUEEZING the trigger.