Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

thumbhole stock

crazyloks

why is it i do not see thumbhole stocks on clay bird guns? is it the cost of making one?

i thingk if you could keep your wrist straighter up and down (90 degrees to the ground or close to that)you could shoot better. like my thumbhole stock on one of my riles. also more comfort?!?

What am i missing.

jb

Wenig gun stock has a thumb-hole type stock, although I have never seen one in person.

If you wish to have your wrist at/closer to 90%, if I understand what you want, then you would like a stock with a "tighter radius" on the grip.

Compare the grip on a Browning 625 to a Browning field gun on their website. You'll see the 625 with a pistol grip design more to your liking, compared to the traditional styles.

Look at the Perazzi catalog online and see some more "tighter radius" grips on the competition shotguns.

If you go to www.issf-sports.org you can navigate to the shotgun sports, either pictures or videos and "get a look". Lot's of different styles, but you'll see some "fitted stocks". Look at the Skeet competition videos in particular for a tight radius, for some shooters, and even a stock design that locks your hand even tighter on the pistol grip...you'll know it when you see it.

Good luck.

why is it i do not see thumbhole stocks on clay bird guns? is it the cost of making one?

i thingk if you could keep your wrist straighter up and down (90 degrees to the ground or close to that)you could shoot better. like my thumbhole stock on one of my riles. also more comfort?!?

What am i missing.

jb

I shoot skeet with a friend who has a fiberglass thumbhole stock on his 1100. He's had it almost twenty years now. I suppose he was ahead of his time when he acquired it. He swears by it for skeet shooting. But I have seen more on the trap ranges than on the skeet field. I haven't seen one yet on a sporting clays course. On the opposite end of the spectrum, the English believe that straight-gripped stocks are the handiest and quickest when afield. The thought process aside from a smooth transition of the hand to either trigger should it be a double, to have both wrists/hands opposed in order to elevate the elbows for a smooth swing in either direction.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

What am i missing.

jb

Because they are ugly as sin.

I have always had a thing for thumbhole stocks. So much that I had a Weinig custom made for me. When I first got it back, I fell in love with it. After I shot it, I almost threw it in the ditch! IMHO, thumbhole stocks are not made for a swinging action. That style is just too easy to have too firm of a grip with. Unless extreme care is taken, it allows the gun to cant which takes to front bead out of position from the bore and either increases or decreases lead. It also takes your hand and puts it too far below the axis of the barrel bore and makes the swing more difficult. With it, my average was down almost 15% in sporting. I went back to my standard custom Weinig and the scores went right back up. Sold the stock (took a terrible beating from what it originally cost) within 6 months to someone that wanted to use it on a slug gun. He loves it for that.