Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Area 6 Multigun Match Book

We didn't have printed match books at the Georgia State Championship this year and I don't think anyone complained, or if they did, I didn't know about it. Our printer can't print the match books this time, so I was wondering, so long as we provide a printed copy of the squadding schedule and match schedule, do we really have to have a printed match book for the Area 6 Multigun?

We stopped creating a paper, souvenir copy of the match booklet the last two years we ran Summer Blast. A few suggestions (some of which I am certain you already thought about):

1. Post the booklet as a pdf file & as a zipped pdf file. There are still a large group of people without high speed internet access & they will appreciate the smaller file size.

2. Notify everyone registered for the match - send an email message with the link to the web page where they can download or print the booklet. The first year we did not print a match booklet at Summer Blast, we neglected to do this & many competitors requested a match booklet at registration. They had not printed out anything from the booklet because they assumed we would provide it.

3. Post the stage diagrams on the stages (a laminated copy of the stage diagram attached to a paper target works fine). When a squad walks up to the stage, many are glancing at the diagram for round counts and other stage requirements.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

3. Post the stage diagrams on the stages (a laminated copy of the stage diagram attached to a paper target works fine). When a squad walks up to the stage, many are glancing at the diagram for round counts and other stage requirements.

Actually if you recall visiting the Real Area 6 earlier this year, we had the stages professionally printed on coreplast (not sure of the term, basically plastic corrugated 'cardboard') at the stages.

I printed A5 myself and had them stapled at Staples. It's a major pain in the ass and if you pay someone to print and staple them it can be costly. I'd rather have that money to put another gun on the table of to buy props etc. Although I did get comments on how well the matchbook was done, I'm considering forgoing it at A5 in 2012. I will, or course have them online, and I may print a limited number of them which can be furnished upon request. I haven't decided on that for sure.

WE need to do everything we can to streamline the costs of these gigs.... this is an area we need to look at. I think this would be a good subject for a poll to be pinned up. Give it a good month or so for everyone to have a chance at voted before it gets buried.

JT

Edited by JThompson

Cost hasn't been an issue with us; we've been getting everything (books and scoresheets) printed for free for the last decade or more, and our volunteer in that regards has our everlasting gratitude. But the state match didn't get the manuscript to him in time enough this year (every printer in august is eaten up with printing football programs!) and he's had a critical person quit on him for the A6 multigun. It'll cost $3.60 per book at kinko's on the self-run copiers (more than twice that if I let them do it for me), I don't know about staples. The GA state printed 25 real match books, one for each stage (along with rulebooks that I printed and stapled myself!) and some more to hand out as need be.

I see from the poll that "no matchbook" is pretty much a done deal. Just to add to that thought, if a COF was to change before the match started, it would be nice to be able to post the change. During set up, things don't always work out like they did on the napkin at lunch 3 weeks before the match. :D

I see from the poll that "no matchbook" is pretty much a done deal. Just to add to that thought, if a COF was to change before the match started, it would be nice to be able to post the change. During set up, things don't always work out like they did on the napkin at lunch 3 weeks before the match. :D

That is true, but there is seldom time to go back and post about the changes as a lot of the time the stage are under construction right up until match time. :Also, the RM might come in the day before the match and see something that needs to be changed for safety or flow and the stage gets changed. In a perfect world, I would agree that posting changes was a good idea, but in point of fact there just isn't time.... When it gets that close to game day you have a lot of other shit on your mind that takes precedence.

JT

Edit: It's rather telling that a lot of the votes to not do a matchbook are people that actually produce matches. lol

J

Edited by JThompson

Well, I guess, but I've always gone on the assumption in a major match that the stages as they appear in the matchbook won't always be what you get on the range. In fact, the nationals match books give that disclaimer in the match briefing, and I remember when we used to have formal pre-nationals shooters' meetings, and Andy Hollar would go through each stage introducing the RO staff (who were there); there would be at least one stage at the nationals where he would say something like "stage 7 is nothing like what is printed in the match book".