Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need recommendation for bullet weight and powder

Blank Zero

Hello all,

I am new here :) and I need some help in making a decision in bullet weight and powder. OK! The story, I shoot Glock 17 for production and limited 10 in minor. I have been loading 9mm luger with Hornady 147 Round Nose and VV N350 @ around 4.3 gr.

Now the guys at the place I shot told me to use 124 gr bullet and N320 or titegroup. From what I now, with 124 and to make it to 130+ PF, I would have to load hot. Is this correct? Also, for N320, when I check with the data from VV, I don't see any data of the N320 for the 124 gr, nor data for 147 RN. As for titegroup, I heard that it is dependence on weather, meaning in cold should slower? and a lot dirtier then the N320?

As of right now, I am a bit lost, I am debating on which powder to get, also for bullet, planning to get from either montana gold or precision delta for either 124 or 147 gr.

Please give me some advice to make a decision.

Regards,

Blank

I've been running 4 grains of Titegroup behind a Zero 125 grain, .356 bullet in my Glock 34 and M&P Pro. You may need a little more out of a 17. Out of my guns, the jhps are a LOT more accurate that fmj, or, cmj.

I've recently been playing with some VV320, and the same bullet. I'm at 4.1 grains, and it is a lot cleaner, and softer shooting. I think I'm going to stay with the VV320 for 9mm minor, but, keep some Titegroup on hand for when VV is in short supply.

This spring, I was out at the range with some loads checking for temp. sensitivity, and I didn't see any with Titegroup.

Edited by RH45

In my G34 I run 4.2 N 320 with MG 124 FMJ at 1.13. Clean, soft and makes 135 pf every time. It will be just a tad slower out of your 17 but not by much. No pressure signs at all. Good luck!

First off, welcome! Second, there's a ton of data for both N320 and TG Minor loads here. Do a quick search and you'll find more reading than you can imagine...like the favorite Minor load thread, for starters.

A 124gr bullet will be snappier than the 147gr bullet, and your point of impact will likely shift somewhat. 3.7gr of N320 with a Montana Gold 147gr CMJ made something like 135PF in my friend's G17 and was quite soft shooting (it's my Minor load for my M&P)....he really liked the way it felt compared to the 124gr ammo he was using. Most powders show some amount of change with temperature, but N320 is quite neutral in that regard. For what we do, N320 is pretty close to ideal for 9 Minor loads...it's just not the cheapest. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

Thank you very much all,

I have been reading on this forum for the last few weeks and about to be out of supply for reloading. Look like I will stick with the 147 gr bullet and i will try N320 see how it goes.

Again, thank you so much for your advice,

Blank