Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Trojan 9mm

Bacon

I have been shooting a Trojan six inch for some time in Action Pistol it works great. It started as a 9mm but I had a Kart 38 Super barrel fitted to the gun with the same bushing and it is even better. I also had a Kart 9mm barrel fitted to the same gun. Kart barrels are the best of all. All it takes is a simple barrel swap to go from 9mm to 38Super.

For a good gunsmith it no big deal to fit the two barrels to the same gun.

Anything like the STI or similar long slide in either 9mm or 38Super will work very well. All you need is good loads and check the accuracy. If it is better than you can shoot then leave it alone. As you imporve you can do as oldtrooper has done.

I have the intention of building another heavy wide framed metallic gun (in 9mm, I have one in Super) and will be using either Kart or Schuemann barrels.

I've got a Trojan and a Targetmaster both in 9mm, the Targetmaster shoots better than the Trojan but it's suppost to. The Trojan shoots around 2" at 50yds. I haven't had any trouble with either gun they work and run very well.

Greg in VA

I'd call it a personal choice. With a nice wide mag well that you could use as a prone pad and short mags that don't hang out the bottom, that would work nicely. Also, you wouldn't have to reload as often. There aren't any COFs that require more than 6 rds before a reload, and most don't have a reload on the clock. You could put 14-15 rds in a mag (extras in case of jams, etc.) and only have to reload after each yard-line of fire. Fewer mags (4) instead of the usual 8 for single stacks.

I know some who use double stacks and like the convenience of fewer reloads. One of the drawbacks that I can think of right off is the weight changes dramatically from first shot to last, and between draws. Practice is the only way to be sure just how that would affect you and your POI.

Alan~^~

Spanner in works mode.

If you use a wide body frame and hi cap mags, you could still use 8 and fill them up, adding extra weight within the grip.

Back to reality.

I have a wide body frame and 10 rounds mags for metallic, that way I change magazines at the same times as I do for my open gun, less brain powder required when your back side is twitching like a rabbits nose. I also like the shape of the grip, plus the S_I alikes have a wide long and very heavy frame. This puts weight low and forward on the gun, that weight does not reciprocate, this is a good thing.