Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

same XDm's / different slide weight?

Field

I have 2 xdm9's. I dont have a scale to compare the weights of the 2 slides but i swear that the 2nd XDm i bought even with identical springs, rods and parts in it is more 'top heavy' feeling than my old xdm9

I doubt that part wear from extended use would cause that much of a discrepancy where i could actually feel a difference in how the gun holds in my grip.

Is it possible to have 2 identical pistols that were manufactured slightly different and have slightly different tolerances and part weights?

Have you experienecd anything like this with a different make of pistol?

The 40 cal XDM upper weighs 1 pound 6 oz. I would have thought it would be more than the 9mm.

There is more metal taken out of the slide for the barrel in the 40 than the 9mm....Bigger bullet, bigger barrel, same outside dimensions, different interior dimensions.

Edited by GrumpyOne

There is more metal taken out of the slide for the barrel in the 40 than the 9mm....Bigger bullet, bigger barrel, same outside dimensions, different interior dimensions.

That's what my initial thought was as well, but OP is talking about two XDm 9's. Not a 9 and 40.

That's what my initial thought was as well, but OP is talking about two XDm 9's. Not a 9 and 40.

Look who I quoted....I didn't quote the OP....I quoted Duke, who WAS talking about the slide of a 40 XDM... :sight:

Look who I quoted....I didn't quote the OP....I quoted Duke, who WAS talking about the slide of a 40 XDM... :sight:

Gotchya...

well nontheless whatever parts we are including with the total weight i dont think the slightly bigger hole cut into the .40 slide to accomodate the larger diamter barrel would amount to 5oz of material.

Thats why I was surprised. Glocks and M&Ps have heavier slides in 40 cal, so the XDM being lighter was different.

So to take it to the next step a Minor 40 should cycle faster than a minor 9 in the XDM platform.

well nontheless whatever parts we are including with the total weight i dont think the slightly bigger hole cut into the .40 slide to accomodate the larger diamter barrel would amount to 5oz of material.