Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strong Hand/ support hand better hits than freestyle

Mike21STI

I have a unique problem. In a few matches lately there have been stages where you were forced to shoot either strong hand or support hand. I seem to be more accurate (-0's in IDPA) when shooting strong handed or weak handed than when I shoot freestyle. I don't know whether my grip of my support hand is interfering with me putting pressure on the side of the frame or if I'm just concentrating more and seeing my sights better before engaging the targets with one hand on the gun. does anyone else experience this problem? I may have to just shoot one handed all the time to get my accuracy up. lol...

I have a unique problem. In a few matches lately there have been stages where you were forced to shoot either strong hand or support hand. I seem to be more accurate (-0's in IDPA) when shooting strong handed or weak handed than when I shoot freestyle. I don't know whether my grip of my support hand is interfering with me putting pressure on the side of the frame or if I'm just concentrating more and seeing my sights better before engaging the targets with one hand on the gun.

The other side of what you said may be just it. You might be taking your freestyle shooting for granted.

be

Thanks Brian, I'll go to the range and practice my freestyle shooting this weekend.

Gather up the feeling that this your first time at the range, and you don't "know" anything at all. See and feel something new each time you shoot a string.

be

I was taught the Target Style (bladed 1 handed) stance when I learned to shoot as a kid as preferred to shoot this way for the first half of my life. Learning the Isosceles my agency taught was tough and I still shoot better 1 handed even after 13 years of practicing 2 handed.

I feel your pain brother.