Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing/installing 2011 magwell?

Pro2AInPA

When I got my used STI, the original STI magwell and the Dawson were an easy swap. Just knock out the pin (it helps to have an extra long punch) and replace. Direct replacement.

:cheers:

Curtis

Ok, thanks. So that pin isn't holding the MSH in or anything? I was just concerned that I'd knock the pin out and parts would go flying. :blink:

Take the slide off, ease the hammer forward, push the mainspring housing retaining pin out slowly. When The pin comes out, try holding the mainspring housing in place as best you can. That keeps the sear spring from getting dislodged and also keeps the firing pin strut on the mainspring cap. Have the new magwell ready to go, and pop it on so that it pushes up on the MSH, and start the pin enough to secure the magwell and MSH. Then, you can set the gun down to grab something to tap the pin into place (sometimes you can just push them in using a punch). If it takes more than a mild tap, back up and make sure everything is lined up properly. R,

Also, they dont all fit all guns. tinkering may be required. I recently changed out a magwell and one fit two guns nicely, but on one (but not the other) it squeezed the frame so much most mags would stick!