Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fixed Time- why only short or standards?

Steven Cline

Can anyone see a way around the rules? Can I get a legal 32 rnd, headshot only, fixed time Zombie attack stage without strings?

Rule 9.2.4 and it's supporting rules (9.2.4.1 - 9.2.4.4) cover Fixed Time course of fire. 9.2.4.3 requires that Fixed Time (CoFs) be only Standards, Classifiers or Short Courses.

The Rules governing the two CoFs a club can "make" (Standards and Short Courses) are:

1.2.2.1 “Standard Exercises” - Courses of fire consisting of two or more separately timed component strings. Scores, with any penalties deducted, are accumulated on completion of the course of fire to produce the final stage results. Standard Exercises must only be scored using Virginia Count or Fixed Time. The course of fire for each component string may require a specific shooting position,procedure and/or one or more mandatory reloads. Standard Exercises must not require morethan 24 rounds to complete. Component strings must not require more than 6 rounds (12 rounds if a mandatory reload is specified).

Short Courses are (per 1.2.1.1) no more than 8 rounds to complete and no more than 2 shooting locations.

Soooooo...

This means I can have an 8 rnd Short Course.

Or, a Standard which is no more than 24 rnds, and at minimum broke into 2 strings of 12 rnds each with mandatory reloads after 6 rounds.

BUT!

Where is the fun in that when what you want is a 32 rnd Fixed Time zombie attack stage, with hardcover over all but the upper A and B scoring zone. 'Cuz let's face it- them zombies WILL always get you and they will come at you in groups larger than 3... jeez, what were those Rule's guys thinking of?

Can anyone see a way around the rules? Can I get a legal 32 rnd, headshot only, fixed time Zombie attack stage without strings?

Edited by Steven Cline

Fixed-time is the hangup, right? I mean, if it weren't for that, it would be fine, wouldn't it?

Why must it be fixed time?

I guess your concept is that the zombies will get you in X number of seconds if you don't pop them first within that time.

:devil: I think you're going to have to require calibers that start with a four to have any hope of slowing down zombies anyway.

Fixed-time is the hangup, right? I mean, if it weren't for that, it would be fine, wouldn't it?

I guess your concept is that the zombies will get you in X number of seconds if you don't pop them first within that time.

:devil: I think you're going to have to require calibers that start with a four to have any hope of slowing down zombies anyway.

Yes sir, fixed time is the hangup and you correctly identified the reason- the zombies just keep coming.

They always get you eventually- too many zombies and too little time.

Brains! More brains!

I found that I can break the stage into three strings with the strings increasing in their difficulty and make a legal 24 rnd cnt standards stage. It actually kinda makes sense once you think about it. Start with few and increase as the sound of your zombie killing attracks more zombies.

Edited by Steven Cline

I found that I can break the stage into three strings with the strings increasing in their difficulty and make a legal 24 rnd cnt standards stage. It actually kinda makes sense once you think about it. Start with few and increase as the sound of your zombie killing attracks more zombies.

I kinda like that idea.

I liked the original idea, but this way it can be a legal stage in a USPSA match and not have to be a side match or an "outlaw" match.

You aren't aware of the level 1 expemtion that says you can do anything you want at a local match?

Oh, that's right. It doesn't exist.

Yeah, sometimes Level I = "We're going to follow the rule book . . . except when we don't want to." <_<

Yes sir, fixed time is the hangup and you correctly identified the reason- the zombies just keep coming.

Brains! More brains!

Where are you putting the mag changes? It could be fun to put them early, like after the second shot in each string, so everyone will need to do them. Or you could put them late, like after the sixth shot, so the really fast shooters will be the only ones to make it through them in the third string. Interesting options.

Brains! More brains!

Where are you putting the mag changes? It could be fun to put them early, like after the second shot in each string, so everyone will need to do them. Or you could put them late, like after the sixth shot, so the really fast shooters will be the only ones to make it through them in the third string. Interesting options.

Like this:

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2308661/zombie-standards-pdf-october-18-2010-12-31-pm-508k?da=y

• 4 weeks later...

Back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth....

The old Club Program Manual actually recommended FT Field Courses, but that was usurped during the "Revolver Neutral" era of the early 90s. That's when you started seeing "no more than six rounds before a mandatory reload" and other language that was contrary to the Founding Principles of IPSC (You know, those hard-to-understand concepts like "Freestyle", "all firearm types compete together without handicap", and other revolutionary ideas.)

THANKS B.W.....

If you could gather enough props like clamshells, drop turners, etc that present targets for a short time and rig them to activate sequentially like in the video, I can see 16 disappearing targets being legal for a long course. Score it Comstock, but the fact that the targets only show up for a limited time gives you the fixed time effect of hit the target, or take the miss and move on.