Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help with pricing on 870?

1911vm

I have an older wingmaster magnum 870 (not an express, it has wingmaster on the R. side and magnum on the L. and the barrel says

2 ¾ & 3in ) it has a 18 barrel. It looks like it has been refinished . I want to trade it towards a different shotgun and do not want to get ripped of by the dealer (not some one I know or trust).

Thanks

Unless you 870 is ready for the apocalypse it's worth $250-400. Everybody and their brother including me has a home defense 870 zombie gun that they added their own items too and nobody wants the exact thing you desire so the value drops like a rock. If your trading it in in another gum expect to get 25-50% less than what you have in it. Good luck!

I have an 870 express with a 21" slug barrel, knoxx stock, Nordic extension, 20+ rounds if buck/slugs in Otto side saddles with a VTAC flashlight holder and a Surefire that I can't get $500 for.

I too look at gunbroker to judge a gun's value. Just be sure to look at what people are actually bidding for a comparable model other than what people are asking as starting bids (that no one bids on).

Hurley

I was told that Wingmaster quality was much better then express and especially Magnum. I just looked up this shotgun on gun broker. And it seems there are not too many of wing. Magnums at all, the lowest price I found starting @ 299 and that think was pitting and had a 30 in barrel. but nothing exactly like mine

Without looking at it for quality I can tell you it is not a collector so you don't get bonus points for old. A brand new 870 will go for 350-400. As a dealer, if it was in perfect condition, I would probably give you 250-300. If it showed wear and tear, much less. You are probably better off selling it out right privately. A dealer is only looking to flip it and make some money off of it.

I don't know the year it started, but all Wingmasters are 3" magnum guns and have been since at least '97. I expect it actually started in the mid-eighties though. They just quit putting "magnum" on the receiver.

i do not think that that is correct. most wingmasters are 2 3/4.

Actually the first wingmaster magnum was made back in 1955. The express line with its lower quality wood and finish showed up in 87. My old department had Wingmaster Magnum's as old as 1968 (after doing some serial number research) and they ran like champs, and in some cases better than some of the new ones we had. The wingmaster super magnum came out in 2000. In the end the 870 has so many variations, barrel lengths, finishes, sight set ups, etc I don't think anyone knows the total count except probably some guy in the basement of Remington :roflol:

Edited to ask..... 1911VM what is the barrel code on your 870, if it is the original barrel I might be able to find out when it was made. On the left side of the barrel to the right of the inspector mark there should be some letters, if you can still read them let me know.

Edited by jbullgpd

I don't know the year it started, but all Wingmasters are 3" magnum guns and have been since at least '97. I expect it actually started in the mid-eighties though. They just quit putting "magnum" on the receiver.

i do not think that that is correct. most wingmasters are 2 3/4.

Since at least 1997 all Wingmaster and Express guns have been 3" receivers and unmarked as a "magnum." If the serial number ends in "M" it's a magnum receiver. I have a "Wingmaster" not marked Magnum, that I bought new in '97. I feel comfortable saying Remington has not made an 870 12 ga. non-magnum since this time. Since the Wingmaster has been in production since the '50s, by numbers you are probably correct in saying most Wingmasters are 2 3/4", but not all 3" guns are marked Magnum.

:)

Edited by Bryan 45