Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buy a M1 Super 90 RS?

JeffWard

I've got a line on a cheap Benelli M1 Super 90 RS (Rifled Slug).

It has the rifled slug barrel, not the tactical barrel. 18.5", standard length tube, rifle sights, NEW under $700.

Benelli barrels are expensive... I don't hunt with a shotgun.

Am I better off just buying the Tactical for $900-1000? Will this run fine with birdshot loads, and be BETTER with slugs at 50-100? Will the ifling spread the pattern too much?

Jeff

With a rifled barrel your pattern with birdshot will be about 6 feet wide at 10 yards... but your slugs should be accurate!

jj

One of our local guys showed up at a small 3-gun match with a newly-acquired shotgun and could not knock down a popper from 10 yards away. It turned out that he had a rifled barrel. I hope this M1 is really cheap as you will need a smooth bore barrel if you want to shoot 3-gun.

Another thing to note is that with the 18" barrell, the max you'll be able to load in the tube is either 4 or 6 shells depending on the set-up. You'll be doing a lot of reloads to be able to compete. If you put in an extension tube, it'll be longer than the 18" barrel.

Edited by -=VILLAMOR=-

With a rifled barrel your pattern with birdshot will be about 6 feet wide at 10 yards... but your slugs should be accurate!

jj

One of our local guys showed up at a small 3-gun match with a newly-acquired shotgun and could not knock down a popper from 10 yards away. It turned out that he had a rifled barrel. I hope this M1 is really cheap as you will need a smooth bore barrel if you want to shoot 3-gun.

Another thing to note is that with the 18" barrell, the max you'll be able to load in the tube is either 4 or 6 shells depending on the set-up. You'll be doing a lot of reloads to be able to compete. If you put in an extension tube, it'll be longer than the 18" barrel.

IMHO, having a tube longer than the barrel is not a problem. Like many others, i have run an 18inch barrel with a +5 extension and have not noticed any ill effect. the tube does get a ton of powder residue, but no damage from the shot or slugs...Rifled barrel no que bueno for 3-gun game.

You don't want the tactical with it's ghost ring sites or the slug barrel. It seems that the best way to get a deal on a Benelli is to buy somebodys backup gun on the Enos classifieds.

I just bought a 26" Benelli M2 barrel off gun broker for $230. The 26" isn't my ideal barrel length but neoth us my 24" that shoots off if POA

Edited by jtischauser