Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Warren Tactical Sights

Handgun World Show

Does anyone know if the Sevigny sights will work well with the short sight radius of a G-23? Any thoughts appreciated!

Well, they work great on my G19, so I can't see why they wouldn't also work well on the G23.

Duane, thanks for taking the time to answer! I ran into a guy who wanted to trade his G35 straight across for my G23 so I now have a new quest for sights for the G35.... Good problem to have I think.... :cheers:

Oh, we all just hate having new, cool guns we have to get set up, don't we? :D

Quite annoying I know.... :goof: I hope this awful situation doesn't pop up for another week or two.... Or I see a VERY expensive gift/trip/diamond/car/wine/etc, etc coming my wife's way..... :( Good shooting this week to you!!

Great trade! I've scored some deals, but not quite like that one. Good on ya, DR58!

I've been running Sevigny Competitions with the FO front for a while now. I was planning to try both colors of FO, but I've misplaced my green. I recently bought 80 inches of the red FO, so I guess I'm stickin' with that for a while.

Helpful hint: check your local modeling/hobby shops for .040" fiber optic rod. It'll prolly be considerably less than what is costs to get it through firearms-related sources.

Great trade! I've scored some deals, but not quite like that one. Good on ya, DR58!

I've been running Sevigny Competitions with the FO front for a while now. I was planning to try both colors of FO, but I've misplaced my green. I recently bought 80 inches of the red FO, so I guess I'm stickin' with that for a while.

Helpful hint: check your local modeling/hobby shops for .040" fiber optic rod. It'll prolly be considerably less than what is costs to get it through firearms-related sources.

Thanks Haji! I do feel fortunate as I have wanted the 35 for sometime now. I did throw in 6 mags including some hi caps and a expensive ccw leather holster so I could live with myself..... :rolleyes: I appreciate the heads up on the fiber optic rods!

I should get the Glock out of California limbo tomorrow or Thursday. Have a good week.... :cheers:

Each time I put the Warren sights on a Glock, I spend 2 hours sanding down the dovetail surfaces on the rear sight to get it to fit. I'm just using the punch and a hammer to get the new sight in, no pusher tool.

Is this normal?

Should I get a pusher tool?

Each time I put the Warren sights on a Glock, I spend 2 hours sanding down the dovetail surfaces on the rear sight to get it to fit. I'm just using the punch and a hammer to get the new sight in, no pusher tool.

Is this normal?

Should I get a pusher tool?

Even with the sight pusher, you'll still have to fit the sight by sanding or filing down the dovetail. Nonetheless, the sight pusher makes both the installation and adjustment a snap. I highly recommend you get one!

Who's using Warren Sevigny sights for competition? Use use the Sevigny carry (black on black) and really like them a lot. So far, the are the best I've every used. Anyone else?

I have a set of Warrens on an M&P 9 Pro that works great for IDPA

Really Duane? It seems to me that it just won't fit period. Even with some pretty stout strikes with a hammer it only goes in a little then stops. The dovetail is making contact on both sides and the bottom.

But then again, I seem to have this problem with the Warrens and the Heinie's. Maybe it's a "lack of horsepower" issue.

Edited by Steve Koski

Steve,

Have you tried placing the slide into a bench vise? I have installed all of my Warren's on my Glocks using a bench vise, brass rod (or wooden dowel)and a small hammer. I have never had to sand any of them.

Have you ever thought of abandoning the Warren Tactical sights for something completely different? I've heard nothing but good things about these: Hex Site :ph34r:

Koski:

Installing sights shouldn't be too problematic. It certainly shouldn't take you 2 hours of fitting though I don't blame you for wanting to go slow during the material-removing process. Check out this video to see how the folks at Dawson do it: http://www.youtube.com/user/DawsonPrecision#p/a/u/0/4maCQhEIjoA

Duane:

I am not sure if you are joking but, at least in my case, the Warren Sights that I have installed (a total of 5) have always been really tight. I am not strong enough to make them go into the dovetail without removing material.

Chad: I've never used a bench vice for sights, just a wooden bench/base, punch, hammer.

Bench vice = way easier than my sorry method. Makes me want to buy a new set of sights just so I can try it the right way!

Edited by Steve Koski

Duane:

I am not sure if you are joking

I'm not joking.

In the last year, I've put in 4 sets of Warren Tactical sights (2 Sevigny, 2 standard Warren). They are a tight fit, most certainly. I've used the sight pusher each time, and have never had to do anything else. (Duane is definitely right, though---a good forearm workout.)

And I'm small and weak---so get a sight pusher, and don't use a hammer and a punch. :)

In the last year, I've put in 4 sets of Warren Tactical sights (2 Sevigny, 2 standard Warren). They are a tight fit, most certainly. I've used the sight pusher each time, and have never had to do anything else. (Duane is definitely right, though---a good forearm workout.)

And I'm small and weak---so get a sight pusher, and don't use a hammer and a punch. :)

A friend of mine (and BE member) tried to force a rear sight into the dovetail by going "He-Man" on the sight pusher and ended up damaging the slide. The sight did go on but, when he was done, it was sitting crooked. He called Glock and was told that he'd have to purchase another slide since this issue isn't covered under warranty.

A friend of mine (and BE member) tried to force a rear sight into the dovetail by going "He-Man" on the sight pusher and ended up damaging the slide. The sight did go on but, when he was done, it was sitting crooked. He called Glock and was told that he'd have to purchase another slide since this issue isn't covered under warranty.

Hmm. I think---I'd have to be a lot stronger to damage the slide of my Glock with the standard pusher without trying to add a handle extender for I could torque it more. :)

I use a MGM pusher. Warren Tactical sights certainly ARE tight-fitting---you do have to work at it. But you don't have to use a crowbar, either. Haven't had any problems with any of the guns I've put them on.

variation on the OP-- who is using the 6 o' clock hold versus the point of aim sights?

I prefer the plain black 0.245" height on my G34 which gives me a POA=POI at 20yds with 147gr bullets.

Edited to add:

3.6gr of Solo 1000 behind a 147gr Precision Delta bullet.

Edited by Cy Soto

I've installed about 20 sets of Warrens (between my guns and customer's guns) on Glocks and have never had to fit the rear sight. They have, on occasion, required a very light coat of oil or some extra leverage on the sight tool (I believe ours is the MGW) to get 'em in, but never anything more than some extra muscle and never any damage to the sights, the tool or the slide. According to our scientific calculations, the sight pusher is 483.342% easier to use than a punch and hammer.

For one or two sets a year, it may not be worth getting the sight pusher, but for more than that (perhaps the local club has a lot of Glock owners as members) it would be. Most of the shops around here charge $25 to put the sights in. You can certainly offset the cost of the tool by charging a bit to put sights in.

I've also found than a wee bit of oil on the "drive shaft" makes that tool work considerably better. If it's feeling crunchy, give it a touch of lube. It'll help tremendously.