Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Something New from Ruger

Tokarev

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr40/models.html

I got to shoot one of the pre-production models out at Gunsite earlier this year. The gun isn't just an SR9 with a new barrel in it. It is built as a .40 and does have some heavier duty parts to withstand the increased pounding.

I liked the way the gun handled. While I found the trigger to be a little heavy and creepy with a little overtravel, I was still able to shoot several magazines into a group the size of a Copenhagen can at seven and ten yards. The Ruger reps that let me shoot the gun told me it was about the softest shooting .40 they'd ever had experience with. This sure seemed to be the case! We shot the gun extensively with a variety of hot defense and duty ammo and I have to say that the gun was easy to handle and really controllable. Recoil wasn't nearly as stiff as some of the other .40's I've shot.

I really like the new "D" shaped magazine release over the circular release found on the SR9 pistols. The gun is a full-sized duty pistol and would no doubt serve well in that capacity. About the only complaint that anybody really had was the thumb safety. The safety tab is pretty small and hard to engage. Well, that's not exactly correct. The small tab is easy enough to disengage but it's too small to put the pistol back on safe without either using your support hand or changing up your master grip. With that said, it might be something that's fairly easily accomplished with a little bit of practice.

I look forward to getting one of the production guns for further "T&E." The gun IS very soft shooting and I think one of these might really be a kick-ass rig for Limited or Limited Ten. Time will tell, I guess...

3470.jpg

Edited by Tokarev

• 3 months later...

It's a shame that there's no aftermarket support for the SR9/SR40 :-(

I've held a SR9 in my hands and it seems like a very nice gun, but I don't like the sights.........hell, I don't like most factory sights but in this case there's no option to change them.

I've had my sample for about four months now and just reached the 5,000 round mark this morning with no cleaning of the pistol or the mags. There have been no malfunctions of any kind up to this point.

When I first got the gun, I pulled it apart and cleaned and oiled it and then commenced to shooting. Somewhere between 1,750 and 2,000 rounds, I noticed that one of the cam block pins had snapped in two. The gun was still working fine but I asked Ruger for a new pin. While I had the gun disassembled, I did put some oil on the frame rails and on the barrel hood. But that was 3,000 rounds ago and the gun is currently as dry and filthy as a dirt road.

The gun has had a mix of factory and handloads through it to include a couple boxes of WOLF 180gr steel and some 155gr cast LSWC target loads. My initial plan was to get the gun to 5,000 rounds and then pull it apart for a detailed and thorough cleaning. But I think now I'll just keep on shooting it and see if it'll eventually choke.

P1010617.jpg

P1010619.jpg

P1010620.jpg

P1010624.jpg

P1010625.jpg

P1010627.jpg

How are the stock sights? Do you like em, or are they going to be replaced?

The sights are white dot with an adjustable rear. The sight picture is somewhat unusual in that the rear sight blade has a gentle radius across the top and I'd prefer the rear sight to be flat.

As far as replacement, I don't think there're too many options out there.

Well, shoot!

I broke another lower cam block pin today somewhere at around 5,500 rounds. As before, the gun still functions with the pin broken but I don't want to push my luck and wind up breaking more than a pin.

I contacted my friend at Ruger and asked him about it. He said he wants me to send the gun back for a complete inspection. I'll get the gun boxed up and shipped off tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be too big an issue to determine what's wrong and get things fixed.

• 1 month later...

Great picks, I had over 9000 rounds thru mine but i cleaned mine every 500 rounds or so, I had 2 failures is 2 years, the trigger failed to reset twice and those were the only failures 1 was around 3900 rounds and again around 7000. I sold it for what i paid for it, but really liked the gun and may pick up another some day.