Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reloading 40S&W 175grn SWC for 2011s

coriolan4473

Hello,

I've got a question regarding reloading semiwadcutter bullets for the 40S&W.

I'm reloading for a 2011 type pistol (barsto 40) with barsto barrel.

I'm reading that a lot of people using STI 2011s are using an OAL of 1.18" to 1.2".

My barsto barrel doesn't have the chamber reamed to accept those OAL length.

Previously, I've been using 180grn truncated cone bullets loaded with OAL of 1.115, and so far it's been working pretty good. Had some problems before with oversized brass, but had it fixed with the Lee FCD/push thru. My 2011 works with factory ammo just fine, so I used the 1.115 OAL because the shape of the bullet is closest to winchester JHP that I find in walmart. Winchester's JHP OAL is 1.115, so I copied their OAL and so far it works just fine. I recently bought some 175grn SWC and tried various OALs between 1.115 to 1.140. I can't go much beyond that length since my barrel isn't set up for long loading. When I slow fire, most of the rounds seem to feed ok. When I tried rapid firing, my gun will turn into a jam-o-matic, with lots of failure to feed. I was at a local club match a week ago, and my gun was a total jam-o-matic using SWC. I hadn't expected them to jam, since I didn't have any failure to feed testing them at the range (slow fire). I got tons of practice clearing jams on match day, and probably scored very low.

Has anyone been able to use SWCs reliably on a ramped fully supported match barrel that is set up to use normal spec'd 40S&W ammo? Or is long loading the only way to use SWC reliably?

I wanted to use SWC bullets since they cut clean holes, and I use SWC for my .45 1911. If not possible, I guess I'll stick with the truncated cone.

I have been using Bulletworks 175 SWC in my STI 2011 without any problems. I have several 40 S$W pistols so I load my ammo to 1.135 so it will work with any of them. Shot about 200 rds this past Saturday at a club match without any feeding problems

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your responses.

Out of curiosity, what recoil spring weight are you using on your 2011s?

I tried testing mine with different magazines... including a friend's Grams engineering tuned STI mag, and still lots of jams with rapid fire, and rarely any with slow fire.

I'm starting to think my recoil spring is too strong, since when it jams, my brass gets damaged.

If it matters, bullets I use is 175 grn SWC from bulletworks under 4.5 grains of Bullseye. I believe my recoil spring is either 18 or 18.5 pounds. I tried 16 pounds, but it seems too light and I would have to manually push the slide to battery all the time. Going to try 17 pounds tonight.

Thanks,

One of the problems with SWCs is the sharp shoulder, especially when seated long (more than .050 of shoulder exposed). With the excessive recoil spring, the shoulder is sheared off. with the lighter springs, they won't quite go into battery.

Try seating some to a length with only very little shoulder exposed (1.120 to 1.140 with our SWCs) and run with a 12 lb spring.

We set our guns up with a slight radius on the chamber to prevent the rounds catching on the bullet shoulder.

We have lots of customers that really like the big round holes that the SWCs make. Sometimes you have to tweak the gun to make em run.

Jim