Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Bike

SteveZ

Looks like an R6 or R1? Pic too small to tell. I used to race against both of these (Yamaha R1s & R6s) in WERA (Western/Eastern Racing Association, wera.com) particularly in the National Endurance Series (4 hour, 6 hour and 24 hour races). Everything from stock 600s (like my old Honda F4) to stripped down R-1s on the track at the same time for several hours of racing. We switched riders every 55 min or less or at the a red flag - whichever came 1st. The tires that came out in '99 let you do just about 4 hours & then they were trashed; you could about do a whole 4 hour on one set. Nothing quite like 50 min. of doing 150 miles an hour on a Honda F4 down the back straight of Road Atlanta & getting strafed by a couple of Yamaha R-1s doing close to 170 miles an hour every couple of laps . . . ah, the good old days. Nice ride; I am sure you will enjoy it as its a really nice bike. If the budget allows, get it on the track! www.wera.com

Still no picture for me.

Hey Carlos, did you know Chuck and Susan Warren and their Arclight Racing team? They were the big endurance team to beat for a few years after Team Hammer left. No relation to me, except that we rode together and raced at Sears Point.

I couldn't see the picture either. Then, and this is the first time this has EVER worked for me, I right clicked, then clicked on "show picture". It worked!

I had the same weird thing happened to me...when I fixed the link...it came up with some strange message...but still no pic. I right clicked on it and did a "show pic" and the pic came up....no clue why it's doing this.

Yeah..its an R1!

I raced on the track with them but did not know them personaly; good, clean, professional racers though & they had some of the most sharp (and fast) bikes in WERA. Ask them about the rainy '99 season opener at Gingerman; 4.5 hours of cold rainy attrition & a 1.5 hour sprint! Every team but one crashed at least once in that race (us & Arclight included). My team had the distinction of having the only F4 on the track and being the only bike out there NOT on rains for the first 4.5 hours; then as the track started to dry, everyone's pit board started to read "FIND PUDDLES!" as the rains started coming apart on the dry pavement. We avoided a pit stop by starting on DOTs. We started out '99 as Team Apache & ended as Team Frost; I still have that F4 parked in a friend's garage. As for Sears point; I grew up in Marin but moved too early in life to have the pleasure of racing there. WHat was it like?

I stuck a link to a wallpaper picture of a 2003 model R1 in Steven's original post. You might also try "Load image" or "Download image to disk" for his original picture.

Thanks Eric...I followed your lead and fixed my link directly to the yamaha website. Can't figure out why my image hosted from imagestation didn't work....but this certainly WILL! ;)

Nice bike Steve. Can't wait to see it.

Just looking at that thing makes me nervous, I'd be lucky not to seriously injure myself if I rode one of those. The danger/fun factor is too high for my curious nature.

Hmmmm...so how fast can I go around this wet turn....this is important to know... :wacko:

Riding in the rain is awesome. Depending on the pavement, you've got up to 90% of dry traction. All the tourists and fair-weather riders stay off the roads.

I never cared for liter bikes like Steven's R1. Their speed sneaks up on you even when you aren't trying to go fast. And they were too heavy.