Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you adjust the seater when changing bullets?

When changing from one bullet to another, especially ones that are quite different (i.e. in 9mm, MG 124gr JHP, BBI 130gr, Speer 147gr GDHP). Do you just back the seating die way out and adjust as needed to get the OAL you want? Or do you compare some measurements (bullet length, bullet + seating stem length) and calculate how much adjustment is necessary, then taking into account one rotation is about 0.07" figure out how much rotation you need?

I back the seater stem out couple of turns, stick a dummy round in the station then seat. Take a measurement, adjust the stem a little more, put the round back in the seating station then seat same bullet more. The process continues 3-4 times till I get to the OAL I target for...

It's a little more about feel and experience with measurements taken in between. I like to start long work my way short with the single dummy round, when I hit the OAL I want then run it through the crimp station and measure to make sure. I also try and make sure all stations are filled to ensure the measurements are consistent.

I actually just ordered a Redding Competition seating die for my XL650 dedicated to 9mm to ease the process of seating various bullets. I'll be clamping down the toolhead first with perma-coils ala Unique Teks clamp kit to take out all the play possible between the toolhead and the frame slot.

I back the seating die out. If I have a round that is already to the correct OAL with the new bullet I just screw the seating die down until it makes contact with the bullet on that round. If I don't have a round that is correct I screw the die down until the bullet is with .1 or so from the desired OAL. At that point I know how many "flats" I need to turn the die because that is a fixed number.

If I have a round that is already to the correct OAL with the new bullet I just screw the seating die down until it makes contact with the bullet on that round.

The trouble with that is, for different bullet profiles, they're going to hit the seating stem differently...so setting OAL for a GDHP using a FMJ sample round isn't likely to produce the correct OAL is it?

The secret is that the first time that you setup for a new type bullet you make a dummy round with it and set it aside for the next time that you use that bullet. Then just do as mentioned above and screw it down to the correct OAL. That is what I do with every round and bullet type.

Brian

I actually just ordered a Redding Competition seating die for my XL650 dedicated to 9mm to ease the process of seating various bullets.

+100.....I have them on all my tool heads for my 650 but use it most when reloading .223 as I do use several types/weights. Once you determine your base setting (I use MG 55's the most) then I will adjust accordingly whether it be 69's, 75's or a hornady 55 gr as they are all different. Once I determine my load I make note of how many "clicks" +/- for the specific bullet....very easy one you have determined the correct lenght on the initial setup.

Edited by DrawandDuck

I used Competitions Dies (1050)....with my most common bullet I zero the dies...then When I try a new bullets I make a few dummies until I got set were I want, then start loading it will be a little longer with shell plate full...re-adjust....write the die seating on my reloading sheet and there you go I have the seating for the new bullets....repeat as requires :D

If I have a round that is already to the correct OAL with the new bullet I just screw the seating die down until it makes contact with the bullet on that round.

The trouble with that is, for different bullet profiles, they're going to hit the seating stem differently...so setting OAL for a GDHP using a FMJ sample round isn't likely to produce the correct OAL is it?

You are correct. I should have mentioned that in my original post.