Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opinions about a rifle I may purchase

Bluetip84

So I am just getting into the multigun game and am contemplating my first AR purchase and was hoping for some honest opinions about this gun. It is being sold by a local shop in my area that I have bought many guns from the past and I have always done great with him. The specs are a follows:

Rock River Arms lower LAR-15 with a rock river 2 stage trigger

Stag Arm 18" barrel with 1:9 twist and comp

Larue Tactical forearm (not sure the exact length but it is the long one)

Magpul CTR stock

Magpul MBUS Folding sights front and rear

Now the gun is used but has a fairly low round count. Like I said already I am really new to Multigun and not looking to buy a top of the line gun I am just looking for something to get me started. I am looking for constructive opinions about his setup please dont just say it sucks or something like that :-). Another reason i am thinking about buying this gun is the price $950 for the gun and 3 mags a cheap sling and some random other parts. To me it sounds like a pretty nice beginner gun to get me in the game. The gun was built well everything is tight and the gun feels good.

So pros/cons?

Thanks in advance for the replies

:cheers: Cheers

So I am just getting into the multigun game and am contemplating my first AR purchase and was hoping for some honest opinions about this gun. It is being sold by a local shop in my area that I have bought many guns from the past and I have always done great with him. The specs are a follows:

Rock River Arms lower LAR-15 with a rock river 2 stage trigger

Stag Arm 18" barrel with 1:9 twist and comp

Larue Tactical forearm (not sure the exact length but it is the long one)

Magpul CTR stock

Magpul MBUS Folding sights front and rear

Now the gun is used but has a fairly low round count. Like I said already I am really new to Multigun and not looking to buy a top of the line gun I am just looking for something to get me started. I am looking for constructive opinions about his setup please dont just say it sucks or something like that :-). Another reason i am thinking about buying this gun is the price $950 for the gun and 3 mags a cheap sling and some random other parts. To me it sounds like a pretty nice beginner gun to get me in the game. The gun was built well everything is tight and the gun feels good.

So pros/cons?

Thanks in advance for the replies

:cheers: Cheers

Sounds like a Solid gun. I prefer a 1/8 or a 1/7 twist barrel myself. But other than that it looks fine.

Pat

1:9 twist will stabilize most any bullet that can be loaded to mag length.

But $950 is way too high. I built my 3 gun rifle by getting a used low round count 20" 1:7 kreiger ($100) and cutting it to 18" on a RR flat top upper with a RR float tube, rifle hand guards, RR lower with an adjustable stock. Total was well under $700.

Add whatever sights you like and you're good to go until you can outshoot the rifle.

Jeff

Edited by jmurch

But $950 is way too high. I built my 3 gun rifle by getting a used low round count 20" 1:7 kreiger ($100) and cutting it to 18" on a RR flat top upper with a RR float tube, rifle hand guards, RR lower with an adjustable stock. Total was well under $700.

Add whatever sights you like and you're good to go until you can outshoot the rifle.

Jeff

In my experience a 1/9 twist gun will usually stabilize 75 grain Hornaday and 77 grain SMK's. However I have seen a few that do not (the worst grouped 3 inches at 50 yards with 75 grain TAP). The 1/8 twist guns and 1/7 always do. If you have a 1/9 twist gun no big deal see what it will shoot. If it won't shoot 77's try 69's. Heck some guys like Kurt who shoot a lot better than I do, swear by 55's.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Buy the rifle, but change out the fore arm. No need for a cheese grater that gets hung up on everything. Check out the Viking or PRI, or even the DPMS vented.

I like Larue forends. As for the cheese grater effect that is what rail covers are for.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Buy the rifle, but change out the fore arm. No need for a cheese grater that gets hung up on everything. Check out the Viking or PRI, or even the DPMS vented.

I like Larue forends. As for the cheese grater effect that is what rail covers are for.

Pat

+1

I use a Troy BattleRail on my comp gun. Like it better than the Vtac/JP handguards....then again, that could be just because I've gotten really comfortable with it.

As to the OP...I'm with everyone else here....I build the base of what has morphed into my comp gun for about that price and had some much nicer parts for the $.

Jeff

I personally don't agree with this gun being overpriced, it is a fair price for a solid gun. But you could also find another option in the classifieds sections here, that may be a little cheaper of get a little better equipment.

a 1-9 twist barrel will work just fine even with some of the heavier weight bullets, you can really do well with 55 grain bullets, if you have a strong mental game to trust your equipment.