Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tugh Love Paying Off

tightloop

OK, Steve, you were right and I was wrong about the dry fire helping yur times for certain drills.

Just got back from the range and was shooting the El Pres with my IDPA rig, the equivilant of L10, .45 single stack, Blade Tec holster behind the hip and same for mags on the other side. first run is 6.01, second is 6.05, third is 6.02 all down two points. I guess I am on the verge of turning a 5 sec run pretty soon. Splits are pretty consistent at .16 and .17 draw is slow at 1.37, 1.40 and 1.39, forgot to write down the transitions.

I think another month of dry fire and I will be well into the five second range.

Shot it left to right and then right to left, all points down are on the left target the last two shots, I think I am over driving the gun on the last one.

Let you know when I get into the 5's.

Jake, HF is 9.650 for the best run, what % is that Nationally in L10?

When my wife proves me wrong, she does a funny thing where she makes me repeat, over and over again, what is was she was right about.

She makes me say it several times, until it's absolutely clear that she was right and I wrong.

Now, what were you saying, tightloop? :) :) :)

Seriously, that's wonderful to hear. Good job.

SA

Ron

Should have been in the 5's, but you are right, I didn't snap the reload on any of the runs. Only the 3rd time I have been able to live fire since my move and it really felt rusty. Ran a B Drill after the El Prez and the first one was crappy, 2.30 but no cadence, second one was better, 1.87, but like you say, the second one doesn't count. It will take a bit to get my sea legs under me after not shooting for 90+ days, but I am working on it. Got caught up in TRYING or it might have been really good.

Steve

I will say it again for you. Dry fire is the answer, dry fire is the answer, dry fire is the answer. You have to put in the time with the gear on,either dry firing or live fire. My schedule is now sorting itself out and I should be able to do 30 minutes morning and evening. I know, that ain't an hour, but it is what I can do right now.

Did a strong hand only B drill in 3.13 and a weak hand one in 4.04. Not too good but it will come around. Doing the triangle drill tomorrow if the weather permits.

I am trying to get my basics together enough to shoot the Space City shoot. Won't win it but it will be a good match and provide needed match pressure without the additional pressure of being a sanctioned match. Don't want Lee D, the teenage phenom to embarass me, you know.

BTW,

the key to a great draw on the el prez is the head snap. You want to see that first target as soon as possible, and be shooting before the second foot touches. That will eventually yield a 1-1.1 draw, maybe less.

(sappy mode on)

I'm proud of ya!

(tough love back on)

SA

steve, your second foot should never be in the air in the first place. i found by performing a left sided about face and with head snap like you mentioned the right foot will spin and end up in the proper position.

let me know what your thoughts are on this.

Had to do a dry one here in the office to see what the foot does.

I was referring to the left foot still being up on the toe while shooting, and not settled down yet. It does not leave the ground, but does go up on the toe, heel in the air.

Thanks for the clarification opportunity,

SA

• 2 weeks later...

Well, broke into the 5 second range today. Shot the El Prez with the Limited STI, and turned a 5.93, down 4; 5.89, down 4, and finally a 5.75 down 7. I did get a little wild on the last drill...

I was in the zone 'cause it felt slow and called each shot, even the two Charlies on the last pass. Going back tomorrow with the skinny gun and see if I can do it again.

Finally getting back on my game a bit...