Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 High Desert Classic at Albuquerque

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the match I haven’t had much access to the internet, so I haven’t read all posts since the match. Just typing this up real quick on Word and pasting it in when I finally get online.

I’d like to start out by thanking the host club for comp’ing the entry for us vets and the active duty folks. I’ve only been shooting for about 8 months and there is no way I would have considered doing a match like this if I had to pay for it. Being on one income with a one year old and my limited shooting ability would have kept me away from an event like this.

Anyway. I got to squad up with some hotshots and some friends and despite a lot of pain in my strong arm, I kept an open mind and tried to learn as much as possible. I tried things I’ve never practiced before and some worked and some didn’t. My main goals were: A) Don’t get DQ’d, B) Make power factor (I don’t own a chrono), C) Don’t finish last, D) Have a lot of fun. Despite the pain in my body, the dust, and bottom of the group shooting, I accomplished all of my goals.

Thanks again to the match organizers, the sponsors, and all the really great RO’s. It was an amazing experience and I do hope that I can do it again someday as a paying participant. Seeing about half the crowd stand when the vets and active duty were recognized, I can tell that match profits probably took a hit. I know how tough it is to put on an event and a 10 stage shooting match puts my event to shame. Great job. Thanks again.

It was an honor to have so many active and retired vets shooting our match this year. Yeah, we took a hit in the pocketbook but some things are just worth taking the hit. I'm glad that you had the chance to shoot a match that you might not have been able to shoot otherwise and had a good time doing so.

Yes the winds were ugly but the weather is completely out of our control. Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.

As far as your goals I'm happy to see that you accomplished all of them. They mirror my goals with every match I shoot, especially the last one.

If you are ever up our way again come shoot a club match with us. First and third Saturdays of the month. You're always welcome.

Take care,

Pat

I realize it's been almost two weeks since the match, but I have news that those who attended may find interesting. The range we shot on has been closed indefinately. The reason: Drought and Fire danger. New Mexico is in the worst drought conditions that anyone can remember. Humidity is running less than 5%, and the spring winds just don't want to stop. I just can't even remember the last rain drops. 5, 6 months ago? Fires are all over the state, with the worst threatening Los Alamos (again).

That fire is at 90000+ acres, growing, no containment. Virtually all forests in the state are completed closed. Albuquerque's Open Spaces and Bosque (riverfront) are closed, and now the City Shooting Range Park is also closed.

I'm glad we got the match in. Handling all those refunds would have been a real pita.

cya