Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help setting up for .30 Carbine.

I have RCBS carbide dies and like them. Others may like something else, but whatever dies you end up with, you for sure, want a carbide resizing die.

I've had a 550 since the mid 80s. .30 Carbine was the first rifle ammo that I loaded on it. Everything went so well that I ended up loading close to 3,000 rds. in a short time. Then quit shooting the carbine and started in shooting an AR.

I have RCBS carbide dies and like them. Others may like something else, but whatever dies you end up with, you for sure, want a carbide resizing die.

I've had a 550 since the mid 80s. .30 Carbine was the first rifle ammo that I loaded on it. Everything went so well that I ended up loading close to 3,000 rds. in a short time. Then quit shooting the carbine and started in shooting an AR.

Thanks for the reply. Are you using the dillon sizing die as well?

What dies seem to work the best? Will be using them

on a 650. Since Dillon only makes the size die,

whats everyone using? The Redding that Dillon

sells, Lee or RCBS?

Dillon makes a 3-die set for 30 carbine, it includes a Dillon carbide sizing die and Redding seat and crimp dies.

They're in my store, here.

be

are you guys triming your cases. I know I am a novice. lol, but to me .30 carbine is like a .357mag, it would seem to me that trimming would not be neccessary.

Using an RCBS die, 30 carbine grew a little with every reload. I had to trim after a couple reloads. Note that 357mag uses the rim to headspace, whereas 30 carbine uses the mouth, so length is far more critical.

Lee

• 3 months later...

I STARTED LOADING 30-06 FOR AN MI GARAND.BEING EXCEPTIONALLY CAREFUL ABOUT OVERLOADS ETC. I MEASURED ALMOST EVERY CASE OF ABOUT TWO HUNDRED THAT I SHOT AND FOUND ALMOST NO GROWTH OF CASE LENGTH, THUS REQUIRING NO TOUCH UP AT ALL. I MAY START LOADING 357 SO THATS GOOD TO KNOW REGARDING THOSE CASES ALSO , MERV

• 2 weeks later...

what weight bullets are you using?

what velocities are you getting?

Every .30 carbine bullet I've ever seen is 110gr. I use Speer or Hornady or Remington... I can't remember.

I use Alliant 2400. I started at 13.0 grains, but my last batch was 12.0 grains.

Everything I've loaded functioned fine. I don't have access to a chronograph.

For the guys trimming .30 Carbine cases, how are you doing it? I want to get a Dillon RT1200B trimmer, but they don't seem to sell the die necessary to make it work with .30 Carbine (I guess I should ask them).

For the guys trimming .30 Carbine cases, how are you doing it? I want to get a Dillon RT1200B trimmer, but they don't seem to sell the die necessary to make it work with .30 Carbine (I guess I should ask them).

I just loaded 2000 rnds and Trimming is VERY important as it headspaces on the mouth of the cartridge. I used the Lee trimmer, it took a while, but I could do it while watching TV in my Lazyboy The newer Lee trimmers have a hex on it and I used it with a power screwdriver. I use 12.5gr of accurate #9 with a 110gr FMJ bullet, this has been my loads for years. I have Dillon carbide dies set and load on a 550. Even with the carbide die you HAVE to use lube as it is a tapered case.

I just loaded 2000 rnds and Trimming is VERY important as it headspaces on the mouth of the cartridge. I used the Lee trimmer, it took a while, but I could do it while watching TV in my Lazyboy The newer Lee trimmers have a hex on it and I used it with a power screwdriver...

Even with the carbide die you HAVE to use lube as it is a tapered case.

You mean you used the Lee Zip Trim?

Having seen a RT1200B in action, all these manual trimmers seem like total a PITA...

And yes, of course, one needs to lube .30 carbine cases.