Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ipsc rifle

olp73

There are about as many slings as there are flavors of ice cream and before you end up with a box full, try out what some other shooters are using if possible.

I use a rather simple set up but I use a length of surgical tubing (ask your doctor or fly fishing retailer) to attach the sling to the rifle butt. It gives you a secure and steady feel when you bring the gun up.

You seem to be talking about using a shooting sling as opposed to a carry sling. You can use a simple web sling as a hasty sling but you won't want something like a traditional leather Turner sling. A VTAC sling cannot really be used the same way as a hasty sling but it is possible to adjust it so that when you are shooting offhand you can bring your left arm in to the magazine and it will tighten up and give you something akin to what you would get when shooting offhand with a hasty sling.

Basically though, I don't think people use slings except for carry and transition from rifle to pistol.

Kurt and Kelly are the guys Isto gets to beat up on in the Euro Rifle Championship.

Ching slings (2 points of contact on the handguard) can be VERY handy especially when shooting unsupported kneeling or sitting. Tactical 2 point slings (my favorite being the VTAC) also offer support and are a much better all around sling. But I've never found that the 2 points offered as much stability in shooting positions as the ching sling. I usually have both in my kit and have used them at major matches. I can't see much use for a 2 point sling at an IPSC match but they are often required at American Outlaw 3 gun. I definitely can see application for a ching sling at an IPSC rifle match. Several European shooters used traditional shooting slings at the ERC but they are slow to get in and out of. The ching sling is much faster.

Mr. Miller uses the ching sling quite often.

Kurt and Kelly are the guys Isto gets to beat up on in the Euro Rifle Championship.

Ching slings (2 points of contact on the handguard) can be VERY handy especially when shooting unsupported kneeling or sitting. Tactical 2 point slings (my favorite being the VTAC) also offer support and are a much better all around sling. But I've never found that the 2 points offered as much stability in shooting positions as the ching sling. I usually have both in my kit and have used them at major matches. I can't see much use for a 2 point sling at an IPSC match but they are often required at American Outlaw 3 gun. I definitely can see application for a ching sling at an IPSC rifle match. Several European shooters used traditional shooting slings at the ERC but they are slow to get in and out of. The ching sling is much faster.

Mr. Miller uses the ching sling quite often.

I'm somewhat familiar with the ching sling technique, but is there a model of sling that works well for this? I'm also curious how you have your sling mounts set up for this.