Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching parts and dimension altering

Guninhand

Hi folks,

I had to send the slide of my good gun , a Kimber Gold Match, to the gunsmith. Now I have a match comming up and have to use my back-up 1911, an Auto-Ordnance. Well, I put the barrel, bushing, & spring of the Kimber into the Auto-Ordnance hoping for better accuracy. I haven't shot it in that configuration yet, but rounds cycle through it ok. Am I in danger of changing dimensions on the Kimber parts resulting in poorer accuracy or functioning when i put them back in the Kimber? TIA.

As long as the timing is good and the Kimber barrel makes proper contact with the VIS and drops down far enough to give you the required clearance at the top lugs you, should be ok. If it's off you could mess up both the slide and barrel, a very expensive experiment.

If you don't have the knowledge to check how the barrel is locking up/timing, you'd be better off sticking with the original barrel and bushing. Switching recoil springs shouldn't be a major issue. For USPSA/IDPA matches, absolute accuracy isn't nearly as important as absolute reliability, and right now, you've got an untested combination. Barrel fit is what makes the biggest difference in accuracy, not the quality of the barrel. Ask any barrel manufacturer and they'll tell you the same thing....a cheap barrel, fit really well, will outshoot the best barrel, fit only okay. Since you can't really fit that barrel to that gun, it's not likely going to help anything. R,

As long as the timing is good and the Kimber barrel makes proper contact with the VIS and drops down far enough to give you the required clearance at the top lugs you, should be ok. If it's off you could mess up both the slide and barrel, a very expensive experiment.

OK, I give up. Please educate this ignorant redneck. What's the VIS?

OK, I give up. Please educate this ignorant redneck. What's the VIS?

VIS - vertical impact surface. It is what is supposed to stop the rearward movement of the barrel when it unlocks and moves to the rear. The back ot the lower lugs are supposed to make contact with it and stop the movement. If not it will break links and do other not so nice stuff.