Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer Problems

Joe D

I have a problem with primers being pulled back up into the pocket on my 550. Out of 100 rounds 10 will have the spent primers pulled back into the pocket. It is more of a problem with 9mm, but I have the same issue to a lesser degree with .40. I have tried changing the depth of the depriming rod from deep to shallow and also changed the little pin itself. This occurs with a RCBS sizing die and a Lyman.

I have even tried polishing the pin to a mirror finish. I am stumped.

Guest Larry Cazes

This is affectionately known as Primer Drawback and is quite common with small primers. You can fix this by filing a radius on the edges of the tip of the decapping pin. Just use a small flat file and shape it sort of like a cone. I had major issues with this until I figured it out and now I modify any replacement pins before even trying them out. Give it a try, it should completely solve it.

If you are useing a dillon decap and sizeing die they have a spring loaded shank that is supposed to flick the spent primer of the pin. This gets dirty and stuck sometimes. Radius the pins as others have posted and clean and lube the spring and shank and life should be better. Larry