Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli for 3G

A6Gator

My son is interesting in getting a Benelli for 3G. He's been looking at the Tactical M2. I haven't noticed that many folks shooting 3G w/a pistol grip shotgun. Am I missing something? Any advantage of a pistol grip over a regular stock(or Comfortech)? The ads say it's a 5+1 w/3" shells, so I was wondering, if we put a mag extension tube, will it hold 8+1 of 2 3/4" without the tube extending past the muzzlea? He's working and single, so cost isn't that much of an issue, but I figured if he gets something like this, it'd be a good idea to send it to Benny to smooth it up a bit. Any thoughts?

When I shoot 3G I use a Benelli M1 with a pistol grip. My tube holds 7 so I can load 8 total. I think trainging with the gun is most important. If he fells comfortable with a pistol grip he should go for it. The way I reload is I hold the gun with my strong hand while loading with weakhand. I keep the gun up on target, I don't have any problem with my reloads that way. It keeps my hand away from a hot barrel. Like I said, if the pistol grip works go for it. There are many ways to do things but you just gotta find the one that works for you best.

I have used a pistol grip with an M-1 and now use an M-2 without one and there are advantages to each and disadvantages to each. If your son could get a little time with both he would likely be drawn more to one than the other. Ask around among the guys at your range. Even if they do not have a Benelli giving him the opportunity to shoot a gun with a pistol grip at the same session he shoots a gun without one ought to give him a clear indication of his preference.

The ads say it's a 5+1 w/3" shells, so I was wondering, if we put a mag extension tube, will it hold 8+1 of 2 3/4" without the tube extending past the muzzlea?

My Benelli M2 with 21" barrel and a Briely Extended Choke has a +5 Nordic Extension Tube End Cap with the Nordic Long Cap and it is flush with the end of the tube.

IMG_0003.jpg

A lot of guys run a +6 tube and let it stick out a little past the end. It can be really handy to have the ability to stuff one extra round in your gun to keep from going to slide lock.

Thea tactical M2 is a deal right now but it has the short 18.5" barrel and ghost ring sights that not very many of us use. Most guys including myself like the 21" or 24" vent rib barrel with hi visibility front fiber optic sight.

Edited by jtischauser

I have shot Shotgun in Sporting clays for years, so I am a bit one sided. and the club shoots with shotgun side match over the years.

you will not see any one using a pistol grip shotgun for birds in the field or on on a clay target field. = they do not point to place a shooter looks . the grip on a normal bird gun is set so the strong hand index finger when it is off the trigger , is at a natural point . Just like if you were to point at something with your hand and no gun in it.

If you paid my match fee and my hotel cost and my travel exspence , I would not shoot a pistol grip shotgun in a 3 gun event. But like I said , I am a bit one sided.

I may know nothing though.

JF

I tried one once and did not like it. The shotgun game in 3 gun has changed to the point where there are really 4 different types of shooting: 1. Slugs, 2. Birdshot on aerials 3. Birdshot on static clays and steel shot "like an aerial" and 4. Precision Birdshot. In general, most matches have 80% or more of the shotgun targets in group 2 and 3. Like Jamie said, those targets require a natural pointing shotgun to be effective (fast and get the hits). Group 1 and 4, a pistol frip is okay, but offers no real benefit as far as score.

So, it is not what "feels" best shooting a few rounds, it is what works best at the game. Across the course, the pistol gripped shotguns are not as good.

Forget the pistol grip. Go with an M1 or M2 with 21 or 24 " barrell. (However, a few inches of tube beyond the barrel is not a problem.) You need capacity of at least 8 in the tube + 1 rounds. Benny Hill is a good idea for either gun, although your son will have some $$ in the gun. But if he wants/needs to sell it, it will sell fast and for a good price if Benny or other good and well known smith has done the work.

If he is single and employed he needs to get suited up and outfitted for 3-gun NOW - either situation might change and he needs to be ready!

My $0.02.

Thanks for the input, guys. I can see the pistol grip idea is like brown eyes or blue eyes, but in either case, it's not a show stopper. I'm partial to rifle-type/fiber front sights (not ghost rings) especially for long(er) slug shots, but I don't see that w/a 21" bbl.

The tactical M2 is a deal right now but it has the short 18.5" barrel and ghost ring sights that not very many of us use. Most guys including myself like the 21" or 24" vent rib barrel with hi visibility front fiber optic sight.

I really like your set-up. Does the fiber on the 21" bbl come from the factory that way or is it an aftermarket deal?

The tactical M2 is a deal right now but it has the short 18.5" barrel and ghost ring sights that not very many of us use. Most guys including myself like the 21" or 24" vent rib barrel with hi visibility front fiber optic sight.

I really like your set-up. Does the fiber on the 21" bbl come from the factory that way or is it an aftermarket deal?

I really like it too:). I bought this one used and it had a fiber optic on it. KurtM added a bigger fiber rod recently. I'm not sure what they come from the factory with.

Pistol grip is about loading. For left hand loading, grabbing 4 shells at a time and putting them in while you move, the tuck of the gun in your armpit is accomplished easily. I find it easier to keep the gun vertical for slug shots at distance with the pistol grip. Practice is everything. I have no problems shooting trap or skeet with a pistol grip. Speed is of the essence in 3Gun and the speed in loading is crucial. But being able to rip a Texas star fast is also helpful. That's why 21" barrels are popular. The barricade that Jesse has in his post is another reason to go with shorter, trim barrels and sights. Benellis come with small red fiberoptic front sights on M1 and M2 models. It's harder to do the Tom Knapp stuff ( like shooting the gun upside down and stuff) but I prefer the pistol grip. Just not the tactical type guns with really short barrels, ghost ring sights and the like. A straight barreled 21" gun with a small fiber optic front sight is the best option for 3 Gun.