Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Use of Laser Rangefinder's during walkthrough

Having watched videos from several of the natural terrain matches on Youtube and also the 3Gun Nation TV show I was wondering how competitors determine the various distances on the longer range steel targets? Locally our long range stages are shot on tiered or sectioned ranges so guestimating a distance isn't too much of an issue or the RO's will tell us what the distances are. How does it typically work at the national level matches? Are the distances known/published or are competitors allowed to use a rangefinder during the walkthrough to distance in a target? Thanks in advance.

Having watched videos from several of the natural terrain matches on Youtube and also the 3Gun Nation TV show I was wondering how competitors determine the various distances on the longer range steel targets? Locally our long range stages are shot on tiered or sectioned ranges so guestimating a distance isn't too much of an issue or the RO's will tell us what the distances are. How does it typically work at the national level matches? Are the distances known/published or are competitors allowed to use a rangefinder during the walkthrough to distance in a target? Thanks in advance.

Most matches I've shot tell you the distances.....but they are usually just rough estimates....I carry my rangefinder to any match where I know there might be long range and laze targets myself just to be sure.

For all of the big 3 gun matches I've shot this year, Superstition Mtn, Ruby Mtn, Ironman, Rocky Mtn, the Nationals & 3 Gun Nation, we were allowed to bring out our trusty Range finders,

most of the time if you arrived the day prior to the match you are allowed to walk the stages and range everything . . . . But there are no rules that the match director will not move something that night prior to the start of the match. (it's happened)

The ranges that are published prior to a match are rarely correct, this is not due to deception, it's that some times the terrain / shooting position / backstop limit what can safely be done or what the host club will allow.

On a multi day match, the day prior to shooting those stages, half of our squad will walk through as a group. with one or two ranging (batteries do die at the most inopportune times) and one or two writing down distances, that night we go over what we've got and then work it our for you individual rifle / scope / bullet setups.

At almost every big Outlaw match the R,O's will tell you what the distances are.

just prior to each Offical walk through you might get time to lase a target array or two.

now this does not take into account the "Supprise" stages were your not alowed to look, those always end up with . . . . . "so how much time did you spend working with your rifle before you got here?"

Thanks for the feedback guys! I've got my rifle load, BDC reticule and holds worked out to 350yds. The issue is I live in suburbia now and my range estimation skills over open ground have gone to pot. Glad to know that I won't have to be totally guestimating ranges as I travel to Fort Benning and Blue ridge in the coming months. Out of curiosity do they typically also tell you the size of the steel at given ranges? I know locally matches typically use 4" at 100, 6" at 200, and 10" 300yds. Some places will use 4" out to 200yds and some clubs have some 8" steel they throw into the mix. I recall a thread awhile back about how long range steel should preferably be 4MOA. Thanks again for the info.

If you are going to be at Benning and at Blue Ridge my advice is go ahead and work things out to 400, 425 and to 450 based on my experience at both venues. I think the most distance we have seen is about 430 at Blue Ridge and perhaps 410 at Benning. And do not count on a minimum target size at a set distance especially at Blue Ridge.

If you are going to be at Benning and at Blue Ridge my advice is go ahead and work things out to 400, 425 and to 450 based on my experience at both venues. I think the most distance we have seen is about 430 at Blue Ridge and perhaps 410 at Benning. And do not count on a minimum target size at a set distance especially at Blue Ridge.

Charles that is excellent advice thank you! I double checked my loads ballistic drop table and the last two remaining dots in my BDC reticule happen to correspond exactly to 425yds and 500yds respectively. Hopefully I will be good to go. :cheers:

Great question.

Coming from a golfing background I often wondered the same thoughts..

I learned yet another thing tonight..:)

Alan