Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Back to reloading after 20+ years

Bob Kennedy

I am just getting back into reloading after 20 years away from the press and boy have things changed.  I guess that I am back to the stage of newbie.

In my old reloading days I had a rockchucker because I could not afford a Dillion.  After 20 years I finally have a Dillion 550.  Thank you Brian for making that process so simple.

I have the press installed and adjusted for 9mm and another tool head for 45 ACP.

I am using bayou bullets for the 9mm 125 gr lrn I found load data in Hodgdon 2010 annual manual (I could not find load data in Lymans 49th) for a staring load of 3.8 grains of universal (clays I assume). I am a little longer on the OAL then spec'ed but is still fits in the case Gage and is the same length as the factory rounds that I have been using in my M&P 9c.  

Do I have this starting load right?  This is just for paper nothing special so I am looking for economical. 

For the 45 I am using bayou bullets 230 gr lrn over 4.5 grains of universal (again clays I assume). I am again a little longer the spec'ed OAL but it fits the case Gage and is the same length as the factory ammo that I a using in my Colt 1911.

Do I have this starting load right?  This is just for paper nothing special so I am looking for economical. 

The main reason that I am doing this is that I a tired of running the mud out of my guns after shooting the cheap factory ammo from Academy or Cabella's. So I am looking for economical and clean burning. 

At the moment I don't care about power factors (I don't even know what they are) nor do I have a chronograph as they were very expensive 20 years ago and I never used one.  Times are different now.

Now you may ask yourself how did I arrive at these (universal and unique),  well they were on sale at Cabella's, so I figured what the heck I used universal years ago. After I get this all figured out I thought I could order a keg from somewhere.

Bob      

The data looks correct for Universal clays. There is a Universal clays and a Clays and the data is not interchangable both from Hodgdon so be sure which one your using because bad things can happen if you use Clays with data for Universal.

I show 3.8gn as 0.1gn under starting load. Should work fine. Please note that the COL (OAL) shown in reloading manuals is the minimum they recommend. You, as the reloader, should aim for the longest COL that fits your magazine and feeds and chambers. With auto pistols, I keep the barrel with me to be sure that the rounds chamber freely. I also make up 1 or 2 dummy rounds (no primer or powder) for each bullet so I can function test in the gun and have a standard that I know worked before to re-set the seating depth and crimp. Attached is a compilation of loads from various manuals. Take note of the lowest starting loads and the lowest maximum loads and the COLs listed.

9x19

Bullet Weight Powder Weight Velocity Start/Max Power Factor COL

Speer L-RN 125 Universal 3.9 899 Start 112 1.130

L-RN 124 Universal 4.1 1022 127 1.150

LCN 125 Universal 4.3 1096 Max 137 1.125

Speer L-RN 125 Universal 4.3 991 Max 124 1.130

.45ACP

Bullet Weight Powder Weight Velocity Start/Max Power Factor COL

L-RN 230 Universal 4.5 703 Start 162 1.200

swaged L-RN 230 Universal 5.2 748 Start 172 1.270

swaged L-RN 230 Universal 5.2 750 Start 173

L-RN 230 Universal 5.4 857 Max 197 1.200

swaged L-RN 230 Universal 5.5 837 Max 193 1.270

L-RN 230 Universal 5.6 0 1.271

swaged L-RN 230 Universal 6.2 900 Max 207

Hey Bob!

I am for most practical purposes the same place you are. I helped my son set an RL550 a couple of years ago which is dedicated to 45ACP. Just as you, I started loading on a single stage Rock Chucker several years ago, as a matter of fact approximately 16 years earlier than you. I enjoyed it and threw each round short and trickled into 10-10 balance beam scale. It took quite a bit of trickling with that system; however, I recently purchased an RL1050 and have completed clean-up and adjusting it and I have loaded around 40 rounds of 223 and thrown probably 100 more and emptied them back into the powder measure. The accuracy in the powder dispensed is amazing and never varies more than .1 gran on a 23 g throw.

I suspect you will love the Dillon equipment, I was aware of it but, as you said did not have the money to spend to get there until recently. Funny how that happens...it was after retirement.

Anyway, I don't feel comfortable critiquing your loads as I am in the same place as you but my experience is blue is great, both in reloading and basketball, as in "UK". I live about 12 miles from Rupp arena, the home of the University of Kentucky Wildcats!

"Go Big Blue/s"!

Regards,

Don