Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching Divisions

hdgun

I have just switched from single stack (minor) to limited major. I am having an awful time getting used to the gun itself and the pronounced muzzle flip. The limited gun is not a new gun but I have not shot it in about 18 months.

Seams like the hardest time I'm having is the second shot on target. I used to manage recoil pretty well, but coming from shooting minor my recoil control and timing are in the shitter.

I guess I am looking for some good timing drills and any other drill that would help. Hopping to hear from some upper level shooters on this one.

I'm sure there are others but I like the old traditionals.

Try the Bill Drill, if you google it there will be a pdf file from this forum that you can print. <akes you keep your eyes on the front sight and work on follow through/return to target.

First I'm not a top level shooter, little over half that. I recently switched back to Limited after shooting open for some time. Like you the muzzle filp was making me a bit crazy and I felt slow, I did what it took to put both shots in the A Zone. I knew my Limited gun was tuned to the maximus when I put it up a year earlier.

I decided I need less flip so I pulled out a 14# recoil spring and threw in a 12#. Voolah, way less flip and just a little more in the palm.

I have just switched from single stack (minor) to limited major. I am having an awful time getting used to the gun itself and the pronounced muzzle flip. The limited gun is not a new gun but I have not shot it in about 18 months.

Seams like the hardest time I'm having is the second shot on target. I used to manage recoil pretty well, but coming from shooting minor my recoil control and timing are in the shitter.

I guess I am looking for some good timing drills and any other drill that would help. Hopping to hear from some upper level shooters on this one.

You have angered the shooting gods with your betrayal. Burn your vest while saying the proper range commands 10 times. Then go shoot the triple 6 drill until you have cleansed your soul.

You have angered the shooting gods with your betrayal. Burn your vest while saying the proper range commands 10 times. Then go shoot the triple 6 drill until you have cleansed your soul.

Thanks Mike, I knew of all people you would have hit the nail on the head.

I don't need to switch divisions to develop this problem. Some people call it flinching or blinking, but I start blinking during the recoil and just not see what I need to see before breaking the second shot. Did some bill drill work and it didn't take long to stop blinking, about the 1-2 shot into the string. It was amazing to see it work, first two shots were C, D and then the last 4 in the A zone the first time. Sounds like the guns different behavior is might be causing this - all of the suggestions from those that know better than I sound really good.

Also, Another great shooter I know advocates that if you switch platform and division - stick with it for a while, i can't remember if it's 3 or 6 mos. I guess it would depend on how much you shoot.