Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tac. rifle / 3gun rifle?

1911vm

Good luck with winning the suppressor fight with those PD's. My old PD finally got suppressors with the justification for lab entries since it reduces the flash for possible ignition of all the nasty stuff in those things that are also flammable. You might try that angle with them, especially if they are busting labs there.

Argument worked fine for me. I've run a can on my work AR for about 4 years now.

So a JP15 would make a bad Tactical Rifle? Why?

JP15/VTAC would make a great Tactical Rifle. Has everything you would need. JP has many different options in trigger "weights". A heavier trigger seems to be one item of consensus which has been covered extensively in this discussion.

Jay

One other minor aspect to remember with the JP15 is that you would need to change out the low mass bolt (LMB) for a standard bolt carrier since the LMB does not have the grooves for the forward assist. I found this out the hard way in the middle of a CoF. :blush:

JP15/VTAC would make a great Tactical Rifle. Has everything you would need. JP has many different options in trigger "weights". A heavier trigger seems to be one item of consensus which has been covered extensively in this discussion.

Jay

Its funny you mention this rifle I was actually looking at it last night. And called JP today to find out how long the wait period is. It looks very nice and defiantly something I can use for 3 gun also. They guaranty 1moa out of a tactical rifle it seems pretty good. The price I believe is around 1850 +/- is that good for the options?

http://www.jprifles.com/1.2.3_JP15VTAC.php

http://www.jprifles.com/document_pdfs/JP15VT%20Spec%20Sheet_114.pdf

Edited by 1911vm

Actually I think the JP15/VTAC would make a very solid tactical rifle base. Its really what you as its operator do with it. As long as the rifle is reliable and accurate it fits my primary definition of a tactical rifle. Some of the best innovations for tactical rifles have come from the competition world. However, there are several items that are popular on 3gun rifles that work less well on tactical rifles. One is the compensator (with the exception of a select few), while they are great for keeping you on target they are really loud, especially if you are firing in an enclosed space with 3 other buddies who are also "helping out". Also some comps can kick up alot of debris if you are in the prone / urban prone which is a negative because it increases your firing signature, can hinder your reacquisition of the target, and cause potential reliability problems the debris gets into the action of the rifle. In my opinion, the second thing that works better on a 3gun than on a tactical rifle is the tuned trigger. I personally prefer stock triggers in all my defensive guns, pistols and rifles. I think they are for the most part more reliable, have an edge in the legal defense arena, are a bit more user friendly if you are wearing gloves, and are a bit safer when stress is high and target discrimination is absolutely essential. YMMV, I don't feel that there is anything "wrong" with a tuned trigger, it's just not the path I've chosen to take.

For those that are fortunate enough to pick their social guns, selection is a very personal thing. As long the rifle is reliable and YOU can hit with it in any condition it can take virtually any form. I really enjoy seeing different peoples setups, hearing the methodology behind their decisions, and watching as they wring out their chosen blasters. I think the biggest difference between a 3 gun rifle and tactical rifle is the intentions of the shooter behind the trigger.

CAZ

It’s funny you mention this rifle I was actually looking at it last night. And called JP today to find out how long the wait period is. It looks very nice and defiantly something I can use for 3 gun also. They guaranty 1moa out of a tactical rifle it seems pretty good. The price I believe is around 1850 +/- is that good for the options?

That is the exact rifle I won at the RM3G match. I plan to shoot it for the first time this week. Not sure what type of sight system it will wear, or what I will do with it, but it is a fine specimen of an AR.

Jay

One other minor aspect to remember with the JP15 is that you would need to change out the low mass bolt (LMB) for a standard bolt carrier since the LMB does not have the grooves for the forward assist. I found this out the hard way in the middle of a CoF. :blush:

Take a look over the spec sheets that 1911vm added. The JP VTAC has a tactical operating system, not a low mass.

This rifle is JP's TACTICAL WORK GUN.

Jay

It’s funny you mention this rifle I was actually looking at it last night. And called JP today to find out how long the wait period is. It looks very nice and defiantly something I can use for 3 gun also. They guaranty 1moa out of a tactical rifle it seems pretty good. The price I believe is around 1850 +/- is that good for the options?

That is the exact rifle I won at the RM3G match. I plan to shoot it for the first time this week. Not sure what type of sight system it will wear, or what I will do with it, but it is a fine specimen of an AR.

Please do not forget the range report. And being on team Team FIREBIRD you really should not have any thing that is not firebird and give me the rifle LOL

Please do not forget the range report. And being on team Team FIREBIRD you really should not have any thing that is not firebird and give me the rifle LOL

I won't forget. I took it all apart yesterday and checked everything out. The trigger and BCG are different from my race JP parts. Chamber is a bit looser as well, but I am going to try some of the check guage rejects and see if they feed.

FWIW, I have two Firebirds, with JP scope mounts, bolt carrier groups and triggers. Firebird uses several JP components, because they are the best. That's one of the things I love about Firebird and JP...good people who support each other. JP donated several parts for the Firebird WWP rifle raffle.

Jay

Take a look over the spec sheets that 1911vm added. The JP VTAC has a tactical operating system, not a low mass.

This rifle is JP's TACTICAL WORK GUN.

Jay

Of course the JPVTAC has a standard bolt. I stated that the JP15 has a LMB. Two very similar, but different models. B)