Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drawing faster

deathdealer2

From holster to first shot( on target) with head up and eyes level is around 1.5 sec. average, but if I have head down and watch hand go to grip , snap eyes to target while gun is coming up I am 1.1-1.2. Is this ok or I am I just adding a bad habit to be overcome later?

Are you on target? (A zone) I thank you should keep your eyes on target. Try this, set youself up in line with the target, close your eyes and follow through with the draw, don't move and see where the gun is pointing. Learn to feel the draw and make it natural.

Try it in total darkness and leave your eyes open. I'am at the age my reflexes are very good and I can make a 1.3 draw at 10yd. and can be in the A or C zone eveytime. Sometimes I have that magical moment I am so fast I suprise myself and forget to shoot the second shot, this is only in practice. Hi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is easy to get some very bad habits when learning to draw fast.

To me, the key to a faster draw is moving your support hand faster. Pick up the gun as soon as it has left the holster. Release you safety quickly. You go not want your hand getting to the gun or releasing the safety when the gun is chest nipple high.

Are you indexing you strong hand the same place every time before the draw?

Do you scoop the gun or come in from the side-like Matt teaches?

What holster are you using-competition or DOH?

I have noticed that when I practice 1 shot draws too much that when I go to draws and shots on multiple targets the draws are significantly slower. IT is important to always fire at least two shots on your draw practice. This is a very good habit.

Perhaps your times are faster when you are looking at the gun because you have more confidence by seeing your hand reach the gun. This might be the case, if so, more dry fire practice will give you the confidence you need. Do you dry fire correctly. In one session, practice perfect draws at a slowing speed. Notice everything, like both hands moving at the same time, where your weak meets the gun, when the safety comes off, when you eyes pick up the front sight.

In another session practice doing the draws with increasing speed.

I'd say it's a bad habit. Make sure you've got a reasonable holster position (video helps, but even drawing in front of a mirror will work) so that as few parts are moving as possible. Key on the shoulder...it shows if other stuff is moving that shouldn't be. Lots and lots of slow reps (and building up in speed) getting the hand on the gun to start the draw will help. Perfecting your index is the next step (where the gun is pointed naturally).

Shorter version: get the gun/holster in a reasonable position, teach yourself to get your hand on the gun cleanly, work on getting the support hand on the gun quickly, bring the gun up high before pressing out, and get the index nailed. R,

+1 to what the others have said, establish your position, indexing on the first target, zero in on the spot you want to draw to and bring the gun up to that, the only thing that should be moving is your arms, as Bart said, 'punch' out to the target, dont swing under and settle in, or swoop over trying to catch the front sight earlier, leave the head up and bring the gun to it, notthe other way around, people have a tendancy of moving from an aggresive stance to a neutral or negative stance when moving their head to find the gun

ok thanks guys. I definitely have enough bad habits aleady.......tpcdvc ya'll don't have any good birddogs in Tn? :rolleyes:

That is our boy Champ. We love to take him for quail around here and ruffed grouse when we go back to PA. I'm getting excited for this year's season already. :cheers:

Definitely do not look at the pistol during the draw unless it is a table start. In addition to a solid dry fire regime at home, one trick I've found that works for me is to create a temporary muscle memory of the grip location in holster during the LAMR portion of the COF.

Before I do any loading I will draw my pistol from whatever start position and get a sight picture. If it is the first COF of the day I may cock the striker and do a few dry fire sight pictures just to warm up, then I will load and holster. O

nce I holster, I keep my strong hand on the grip of the gun and squeeze the grip, my support hand is on my belly just as if I'm about to draw. Then I will place my hands in the appropriate start position. I find that squeezing the grip gives me a sort of temporary muscle memory of where the grip is and I find my hand naturally snapping to it. I may be completely off base but it "seems" to work ;)

CAZ