Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Right before the Buzzer?

GuyC

I am still new to the sport. I am always so nervous that I will look like a idiot in front of some really good shooters. I think just focusing on my breathing no matter what I actually do maybe it will keep my mind occupied. Focus on the routine not the fear of failure. That will be my new mantra.

Calmly focus on the routine! (I'd leave "not the fear of failure" out of your mantra.)

I am still new to the sport. I am always so nervous that I will look like a idiot in front of some really good shooters. I think just focusing on my breathing no matter what I actually do maybe it will keep my mind occupied. Focus on the routine not the fear of failure. That will be my new mantra.

Calmly focus on the routine! (I'd leave "not the fear of failure" out of your mantra.)

I like the way you think :D

I am still new to the sport. I am always so nervous that I will look like a idiot in front of some really good shooters.

My dad actually quoted this to me after I was telling her how I had screwed up a match because I was thinking too hard. Below is a quote from the movie Tin Cup with Kevin Costner and Cheech Marin. Romeo (Cheech) is the caddy to Romeo (Costner) who is having trouble with his drive.

Romeo: Put your change in your left pocket. Go on, do it. Now, tie your left shoe in a double knot.

Roy: Tie my left shoe?

Romeo: Right now, do it! Turn the hat backwards. Turn your hat around. Do it, Roy! Take this tee and stick it behind your left ear.

Roy: I look like a fool!

Romeo: What do you think you look like shooting chili peppers up Lee Janzen's ass? Do it now or I'm going to quit. I swear to God I'll quit. Good. Take this ball and hit it up the fairway.

[Roy hits the ball straight]

Romeo: You're ready.

Roy: How'd I do that?

Romeo: Because you're not thinking about shanking or Molly. You're not thinking. You're looking like a fool, hitting the ball pure and simple...

[....]

Romeo: That's it. Your brain was getting in the way.

Edited by Will_M

I think of my pre-shot routine before the buzzer as something similar to a golfer's waggle. If you watch the guys on the the PGA tour, they come up to the ball and do the same thing everytime they get ready to make a shot. I try and start each stage the same. By the time I get the load and make ready, I already have my plan. I Make Ready and then do the same thing each time, (which has caused lots of laughs from my fellow shooters BTW), I adjust my hat, check my glasses, check my ear plugs, wipe my hands on my shirt, and then take several deep breaths as I flex my knees up and down several times. While breathing and flexing I will have my hand on my firearm, and as I finish up, the hand goes down by my side or up or whatever the start position requires. People have accused me of doing the Macarena before I shoot, but it works for me. Find what works for you and go for it.

• 1 month later...

I've never really paid any attention to my breathing before I shoot a stage. I step up to the line with my plan. On load and make ready I visualize myself executing the stage exactly how I planned it shooting all A's or -0's, hitting my reloads perfectly then ending on the last shot fired. On shooter ready I relax and focus on the first target and give a nod. When the buzzer goes off, it's cruise control.