Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loose Link Pin

Fireant

The link pin on my Edge almost falls out on it's own when you turn the slide over when it's disassembled. The pin sticking out keeps the slide from going back on until it is straightened out. One of my shooting buddies said that the pin should be a press in fit meaning it should not be that loose. Is this a problem? will it affect the performance? will it hurt my gun?

Thanks.

A non press fit link pin is not in and of its self a problem. It is seen fairly regularly on standard or production guns. If the fit is not so loose as to allow the hood of the barrel to move up and down when downward pressure is applied thru the top of the ejection port, then its not a problem.

However I would carefully track the degree of looseness to prevent it from enlongating the hole in either the barrel lower lugs or the link. If that occurs it is time to address the problem.

I take a center punch and create a small burr on the edge of both sides of the pin to take care of this problem.

This is what I'd do, as well. That pin is usually staked at the factory, so it won't crawl out and drop your link onto to the floor (or the sand, the grass, the snow) every time you field-strip your pistol.

No reason for you not to re-stake it. Just go carefully.

• 1 month later...

I have noticed my 1911 5" .45 barrel link pin slips out easily when the barrel is out of the gun for cleaning. Been that way for the last 500 rds or so. I don't see any severe erosion of metal on the link pin or overt sloppiness of the pin inside the link, but I'm wondering if this is something that should not be allowed to continue for much longer. Right now I'm only shooting one local IDPA match a month, so no huge volume of rounds are expected soon. The gun functions fine as is right now. I wonder if the pin is able to migrate side-to-side a little and accelerate wear during firing of the gun? It's an old military national match barrel in a series 70 gun I bought used years ago.. I've put maybe 20,000 rds total through it myself. No telling how many rounds it's seen before that.

Are there standard replacement pins that should just press in easily? Any suggestions? Thanks.

{edit} merged two threads together at this point

Edited by Flexmoney

It would be a good idea to peen the pin to keep it from moving. You can use a sharp punch to put a dimple on the end of each side of the pin to stop it from moving. It probably won't hurt anything being loose, it's pretty common on older guns, but if it falls out when you're cleaning it you might lose the pin. The pin can also move out a little and make it hard to reassemble the gun.