Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WTK: shot shell holders on the gun

SMSI

I have no problem with a full side saddle and 4 shells hanging in front just past the bolt on my Remington 11-87. I read where the Benellis are finicky about this added weight. Is that established? What about FN SLPs? I still can reload faster off the gun and armband, but am considering a new shotgun.

There shouldn't be any effect on an SLP, since it's gas-operated.

Benellis often tend to "get weird" when they're heavy, as you've already noted. According to the factory, the magic number is "500 grams over empty weight". Any heavier than that and you can have so much static inertia to overcome that the action doesn't want to work.

FYI, Most shotshells weigh around 50-55 grams. Put 8 in the tube and you're already 400 heavier. Throw six more on a side-saddle and you're almost 800 grams heavy.

The cloth velcro/elastic shell carriers don't affect this as much, since there is a little "give" inherent in their design.

• 1 month later...

There shouldn't be any effect on an SLP, since it's gas-operated.

Benellis often tend to "get weird" when they're heavy, as you've already noted. According to the factory, the magic number is "500 grams over empty weight". Any heavier than that and you can have so much static inertia to overcome that the action doesn't want to work.

FYI, Most shotshells weigh around 50-55 grams. Put 8 in the tube and you're already 400 heavier. Throw six more on a side-saddle and you're almost 800 grams heavy.

The cloth velcro/elastic shell carriers don't affect this as much, since there is a little "give" inherent in their design.

What he said.

My Benelli won't work with a side saddle but it will work with 8+1 and one shell on the side.

I'm going to try for two soon. :lol: