Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prefered Shotgun shell holder attachment style

• 1 month later...

ELS is the adapter system for the Safari Land Belts and attachments.

It is an awesome design......I put the ELS attachments on the back of Mark Ottos shell caddies. at anytime I can add or remove attachments on my belt without removing. Marks caddies are the most reliable I have seen. They are super affordable and definatley worth every penny. Plus Mark is an outstanding guy, he makes sure his product is a quality one.......THanks again Mark.

I'd love to see somebody's ELS system setup for a 3 gun stage, shotgun/pistol stage, rifle/pistol stage, shotgun/pistol stage. I'm curious as to how much flexibility you lise with the predetermined holes in positioning your gear.

I was in Sgt. Gills squad at Fort Benning and it worked well for him. I'm calling Mark Otto today! Thanks for the info James. :cheers:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got my Mark Otto caddies and they are actually beautiful. Function is also very good. I alternate different color caddies to help keep me organized so I appreciate that they come in various colors too.

Eric

MME caddys with ELS mounting option coming soon.

This interests me. I have a cr speed belt with tek lock for holster, mag holder, and ar mag holder with mme threaded through my belt.

the simplicity of clipping on/off with the els is very appealing.

ok campers

so you say you want to design a better wheel . . .

Good for you.

ask every one what they want and what their ideal holder would do and with a little work it just designs it's self. . . .

(that is sarcasm)

but

here is a point to consider during the design process.

when a shooter grabs less than the carriers maximum load . . be it 2 or 3 or 5 the rest in the caddy tend to flop about and find there way to the ground at the most inopportune of times. (I.E. on the clock)

now think about the fact that almost not all but almost all shotgun ammo nowadays has a "Steel base"

see the solution to loose and lost shells solved its self. . . . magnets

magnets or a magnitized strip on the base side would prevent the rounds left in the caddy's from moving around and getting enough momentum to "Jump" out and you would still be able to Pull through.

just my 2 cents worth

now go and design our problems away young man.

MME caddys with ELS mounting option coming soon.

This interests me. I have a cr speed belt with tek lock for holster, mag holder, and ar mag holder with mme threaded through my belt.

the simplicity of clipping on/off with the els is very appealing.

Here are my MME caddies with the new ELS mounting points and retention bracket for the springs. I trimmed the center tab off of the ELS fork for a little more clearance when grabbing the shotgun shells.

post-26998-088366300 1301343263_thumb.jp

post-26998-026179500 1301343272_thumb.jp

• 4 months later...

The Techlok is relatively simple to put on and take off, secure, and adjustable for different belt widths. That meets the basic criteria well but if you are building the "perfect" caddie, then I would add a few features:

--Adjustable caddy sides so that it can fit different sized shells

--Adjustable positioning of the belt loop so it can be put high, medium, or low on the caddy

--Adjustable orientation of the belt loop so it can be rotated to mount the caddy on a bandoleer type strap

Here an item for pure speculation: If you're using a 6 shell caddy, then you will likely remove shells two or three at a time. If you don't remove all six then the rest jiggle around and can actually come out. Perhaps it would be nice if there were some kind of follower and spring that would raise the shells so that they "snug up" against the top restraint like you find in a magazine. This might well be impossible to do without creating all kinds of design problems but as long as you are thinking about design but part of the design process is to find new and innovative ways to do things.

The caddies that are out there are all variations on a theme, maybe you can find a better theme. For example, a stripper clip design (like for AR15 cases) with the shell bases sliding up and down in a track rather than two open grooved tracks.

Disclaimer: I'm very, very new to all this so my ideas are not based on extensive use or experience. On the other hand, I'm not wedded to any particular design.

ah yes in a perfect world

sorry just had to say it

For all intensive purposes. Here's a rough model of the CCW shell holder. I think I'm going to try to make something that it a combination of the progressive machine style holders using tekloks and a spring similar to Mark Otto Style holders.

CCWShellHolder1.jpg

CCWShellHolder2.jpg

I'll have to see if I can get my hands on a progressive and an otto holder to take a look at them first hand. I'll also have to order some Tekloks.

all ready done my friend you can get a ccw with 5 diff backs,2 1/4" ss clip,GI/Bianchi um84,tek-lok,g-code rti, safariland els base, and 2 diff shell retention springs, the orig. like choate and mme or the new leaf similar to the pm/otto. also the ccw's convert to m-16 mag pouches in less than a second!

• 1 month later...

For all intensive purposes. Here's a rough model of the CCW shell holder. I think I'm going to try to make something that it a combination of the progressive machine style holders using tekloks and a spring similar to Mark Otto Style holders.

CCWShellHolder1.jpg

CCWShellHolder2.jpg

I'll have to see if I can get my hands on a progressive and an otto holder to take a look at them first hand. I'll also have to order some Tekloks.

already done my friend; you can get a CCW with 5 different backs, 2-1/4" SS clip, GI/Bianchi UM84, Tek-Lok, G-Code RTI, SafariLand ELS base, and 2 different shell retention springs: the original, like Choate and MME; or the new leaf, similar to the PM/Otto. Also, the CCWs convert to M16 mag pouches in less than a second!

where are all those variations available?