Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My sons summer project runs.

Aircooled6racer

Hello: To start the story off I bought a 1973 Honda XR-75 a couple of years ago planning on getting my son to fix it up at some point. Well this summer he decided he wanted to get it running. It was not running for a very long time and time was not very kind to it. All the parts are there but needed some help. I explained what to look for and how to tell if it was worth buying. The gas tank had some rust as well as the rest of the bike. He tried to kick the bike over and it was stuck. We tried oiling down the cylinder but it was really stuck. So out came the engine with me showing him what to do. We took the head off and the pistol out of the cylinder by using some heat on the cylinder and a wood block. The piston came out and there was no scores in the cylinder. The rings were stuck in the piston so soaking in the parts washer for a week helped but they came out and broke. We lightly honed the cylinder. The piston was still good and needed a good cleaning. So I heard the words "dad order the parts please". I ordered up all the parts for the carb rebuild,rings,petcock and some small rubber parts. We assembled all the engine and carb etc. The gas tank would take a good cleaning so we filled the carb bowl to see if it would run. 3rd kick and it started. My son says" dad I didn't think it would run". Thanks for the confidence son :roflol: Well a couple of more weeks went by since I was not going to fix it myself and he says "dad lets work on the bike again". So off we go and clean the tank out and clean up the chain. He say we need to paint some of these parts. So he does that. Well a couple of more weeks go by and I get the "dad lets work on it". So the tank goes on and the chain. You guessed it a couple of more weeks go by and I get the -well you get it by now. So today we work on it again and it runs and he even learned to drive it for the first time using the clutch and throttle :cheers: My son is only 11 years old and I saw joy in his face and terror on his moms :roflol: The boy likes to go fast- I wonder where he gets that from? So now I have to order up some new tires,chain and some other small parts. What makes this so great is this bike is the one I wanted as a kid but we could not afford it and now I get to ride it when he is at school :devil: It also brings back memories for me when I said to my dad " can we work on the bike now please" I appreciate you guys letting me tell this story and hope it puts a smile on your face. Thanks, Eric

As you know Eric, I was very involved with all aspects of my sons younger days through soccer (as you are), amateur radio, Boy Scouts and many other endeavors. What a fantastic time. Gave me a chance to be a kid again. Needless to say we still do many things together even though he is 30 and I am 61. Four years ago a rim to rim hike through the Grand Canyon, only time we have ever been there.Three years back was the 92 mile back packer in the Philmont Scout Ranch in northern New Mexico. Last year we attended the Dayton Hamvention in Dayton, Ohio. As you know Brian is the Rocky Mountain Director of the ARRL. Nowadays it's work projects at his house and taking care of my grand daughter and grand son.

You obviously know the tremendous value, joy and satisfaction of being involved with your sons in every aspect possible. Doing so will pay huge dividends throughout the coming years for you and the boys. Both will grow up to be men you will be proud of and know that they are good, contributing members of society. When the time comes you draw your last breath you sure as hell won't be thinking "is that all there is"?

Good on you buddy!:cheers:

Pat