Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.308 Titan Comp

Bryan 45

I figured it was about time I broke down and joined the 21st century and got a Titan comp for my M1A. (Who knows, I may even shoot a mouse gun some day....) Smith Enterprise makes an adapter to screw any 5/8-24 muzzle device onto the M1A and this adapter also provides the front sight base. After ordering the adapter and a fellow HM'er hooking me up with the comp, lock-tite in hand I sat down to put it all together. The comp hand tightened to about 8:00. Using a piece of 220g sand paper it took about 225 passes to bring it around to 12:00. I went about 20 passes at a time, checking between each set so that I didn't take too much off. (Poor Kentucky boy here, I don't have any equipment.)

The length of the Titan is almost exactly the same as the stock M14 flash suppressor. It is a little heavier, but doesn't seem to change the balance of my 10.5 lb rifle. The finish of the comp is a matte black, a very close match to both the Smith adapter and the Springfield factory finish on the barrel. There were no burrs to be found on the comp, and no machining marks are visible.

I finally was able to take the rifle out yesterday to re-zero and give it a test run. I was concerned about the muzzle blast being obnoxious, but it doesn't seem to be any louder than an AR w/ a good comp. POI was about 1 MOA lower than with the stock flash suppressor, but that's assuming the Smith adapter is the exact same height as the factory piece. Accuracy of my rifle is unchanged, and the comp seats square against the end of the barrel. With M1As, if either the muzzle device or the crown are not cut square, when the muzzle device is tightened down it can sit at a slight angle- which is enough to cause the bullet to strike the inside of the comp just enough to throw the shots wide. I once stuck a USGI flash suppressor on this rifle and it went from a 1.5 MOA rifle to about a 16 MOA rifle, due to the suppressor sitting cock-eyed. No worries of this with the Titan though.

I hoped adding a comp would allow me to speed up on splits on targets from about 7 to 25 yards. Without the comp I was comfortable with my splits on paper under 5 yards, but noticably slow on anything farther. The Titan does a good job of keeping the muzzle down on targets in this range. But, what I was more impressed with is how steady the rifle is at distance. I know we're not suppose to miss on flashers at 300, but it does happen every once in a while. :) My follow up shots at this range were quicker and the rifle needed very little repositioning between shots, whether it be from squatting, kneeling, sitting or prone.

Enough long-winded blabbering, here's some pictures. The true test will be in 3 weeks at the Ozark 3 Gun!

390677567.jpg

390677559.jpg

Personally, I would have preferred you didn't add the comp...but that's just beacuse I'm also shooting HM at Ozarks. :sight:

Your setup looks great. I'll be using your posted photos to try convince my buddy to do the same with his M1A.

You have nothing to worry about. My eyes and trigger finger work pretty good most of the time- but it's a coin toss if my brain is going to show up on match day! :)