Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Critique please

TannerB

Ive been working on watching my front sight through the entire recoil and breaking my shot as soon as my sight hits my target again. But I threw quite a few mikes this day.

I would like to get the hang of having a constant rhythm between targets and transitions, where it never breaks. Also I know I need to keep moving.

Thanks

A major time saver will be your draw. It seems a bit slow coming out and then you make a long low sweep to get it on target. Try pulling it out of the holster, then continue straight up to your chest where it can meet your weak hand and be pushed straight out.

You also have some time to be saved when moving box to box. You are waiting until yo are in the 2nd box to get the gun back up and ready to fire. Have it up at face-height and begin to re-grip a step or two outside it, by the time you are in the box and the 2nd foot comes off the ground and steps in you can be on target and ready to fire.

The above assumes you already have good hits on the targets. Speed will do you no good if you cant hit As....trust me, haha.

Edited by Corey

be ready to shoot when you enter the box

right now you enter the box then set up to shoot. to much time.

you want to be able to break the shot just as soon as you enter the box.

set yourself up about a step and a half out. enter and shoot.

Thanks guys, is there a way to learn how to drive the gun faster?

A soon as the shot breaks move your eyes to the next target, then drive the gun there.

I won't worry about having a constant rhythm between splits and transitions, shoot as fast as you can call the shots. move the gun as fast as you can accurately stop it. You are throwing mikes because you are trying to shoot a cadence. pull the trigger when your sights tell you to, not the clock

On the draw. your body is bouncing up and down, you want to keep your head as still as possible

Also you are almost starting with your hand on the gun. You need to relax your arms more. I cheat the start as much if not more than the next guy, but you aren't even close to a proper start position

Edited by Supermoto

i counted 20 extra shots on the steel, are you looking at the steel or your front sight?

But I threw quite a few mikes this day.

this tells me you are also maybe looking at the targets when shooting them also and not the sight

Thanks guys, is there a way to learn how to drive the gun faster?

Practice practice practice :)

The more you do it the esier it becomes.

Allot of people will tell you that the match is your practice.

I've never agreed with this. Even at local matches nerves can keep you from shooting at the right speed to make all your hits.

Making time to practice (if you practice with a shot clock, which you should) allows you to find out just how fast you can shoot while still tracking your sights sence you can experiment with out the pressure of a crowd or a score. This leads to confidence and confidence leads to shooting matches relaxed and at the proper pace where you are slowing down and speeding up as needed to make the shots you've learned to make :)

I've been using the practice deck from DR performance.

http://drperformanceshooting.com/

It's great because it has lots of drills you can practice with only 3 Ipsc targets.

For me it's been impossible to improve by only shooting matches. It's the equivalent of taking a test with no study time :)

If you are already setting time to have proper focused practices then just be patient it's only a matter of time until you start shooting faster and more accurately.

Dryfiring helps allot.. But nothing beats spending time throwing some serious lead down range.

Cheers,

Los.

Edited by carlosa