Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

letting go of the front sight

John K

My first breakthrough came when I could consistently see the front sight rise and fall. How empowering it was, but.........

Then I was afraid to let the front sight go. I held onto it like a drowning man holds onto a life vest.

I KNEW i was suppose to look to the next target, and then bring the sights over. I KNEW this was how it was suppose to be done, but I wouldn't let go... til my last trip to the range.

I made myself do it and to my surprise, I shot faster and compromised accuracy not one bit.

You can read about it, hear about it, but until it happens you can not believe it.

I am so happy for me!

Sweet!

I know what you mean..

I'm like that right now..

I did have the same experience doing Brian's transition drill a few weeks back. but have not been able to constantly trust it and apply it.

I need to trust the force :P

My first breakthrough came when I could consistently see the front sight rise and fall. How empowering it was, but.........

Then I was afraid to let the front sight go. I held onto it like a drowning man holds onto a life vest.

I KNEW i was suppose to look to the next target, and then bring the sights over. I KNEW this was how it was suppose to be done, but I wouldn't let go... til my last trip to the range.

I made myself do it and to my surprise, I shot faster and compromised accuracy not one bit.

You can read about it, hear about it, but until it happens you can not believe it.

I am so happy for me!

These never fail to make me

:D

Nice work,

be

• 2 weeks later...

This may not be exactly on point but,

Chip McCormick had a drill where you put one target to your extreme left right on the 180, and the other on the extreme right side. Shoot one side, snap over, shoot the over, snap over and so on. This allows a magnification of your errors and makes it easier to see what you are doing wrong. If you have a buddy to watch or video make sure you're not dipping the gun between shoots too.

• 1 month later...

it first came for me when I started seeing the muzzle flash. After a short session with Blake Miguez today he pointed out one thing that I would have never noticed my own. I was bringing my eyes to the sight and not the sight to my eyes. I would draw, extend and my head and eyes would follow my front sight to the target. we did a few drills working on me viewing my target and not moving my eyes from my point of aim and then bringing my sights to my eye. I dry fire practiced everything, he had me make some minor adjustments to my grip and stance and it happened doing the transition drills later. I was able to track my sights catch my next target in the corner of my eye and move and cut one all Alpha second off my transtion times!!!!

I am very happy and am very happy with my overall performace given that i have only been shooting pistols for about 3 months.

I then took and run a modified bill drills on 3 targets one @ 5 yards one @10 yard and one at 15 yards. I then cut the alpha out of three targets and stapled the no shoot side to the front of the targets giving me only the alpha center to shoot.

best times at five yards all A 2.75 seconds 6 shot string

10 yards all A 3.27 6 shot

15 yards All A 4.7 6 shot

then I run all three All A 5 shots each 12.5 seconds

all my times are at least a full second faster!

can't thank blake enough!!

Mat Price