Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loose Extractor

Field

im not saying its flopping around like a peice of salami or anything but there is a real small amount of back-and-forth play that wasnt there last week and i had done a bit of shooting earlier today and had a couple FTE's which WOULD be caused by that extractor being a bit loose.

so there is just some little pin that holds the firing pin block and the extractor in place, i havent taken any of that out ever but im assuming its not that hard, ??

i was just wondering if any of you might have some insight on if this is one of those things where im just going to need to replace something or not, i would like to be able to just tap a pin back in because it came loose or maybe some little spring is out of place but anyways..thanks for your knowledge if you got it.

im not saying its flopping around like a peice of salami or anything but there is a real small amount of back-and-forth play that wasnt there last week and i had done a bit of shooting earlier today and had a couple FTE's which WOULD be caused by that extractor being a bit loose.

so there is just some little pin that holds the firing pin block and the extractor in place, i havent taken any of that out ever but im assuming its not that hard, ??

i was just wondering if any of you might have some insight on if this is one of those things where im just going to need to replace something or not, i would like to be able to just tap a pin back in because it came loose or maybe some little spring is out of place but anyways..thanks for your knowledge if you got it.

Well without a gun model its a little tough. But from your description I would guess a 1911 or similar. The little pin holding it in is the firing pin. Here is a like to disassembly instructions. http://how-i-did-it.org/detail-1911/slide_detail.html

If you have a standard extractor its tension is adjusted by bending it. Check the Brazos Custom guns web site he might have an article on how to do this. Once you get it out if it is broken get one the the Brazos tuned extractors they are very good.

If it's an XD/XDM the extractor is just pressed in.

Of all things a 1911 main spring is perfect for extracting the extractor (good size and shape to slip in and under). You can also use a rubber mallet - invert the slide give it a few good whacks above the extractor and it will pop out.

how is the extractor a spring...? its not

anyways....here are some pictures, please inspect.

This is the amount of loose travel on it, very little pressure required:

012-1.jpg

013-2.jpg

Some pictures of the inside area where the extractor is pressed into and then the extractor by itself:

019.jpg

023-1.jpg

and then i was wondering what the difference was between the 9mm extractor and the 40cal extractor and if they could be interchanged...? Because if i ordered an extractor its going to take maybe a week to get it but if i can just take the one off the 40, press it into the 9mm slide and alleviate the problem then that would be more optimal.

033-1.jpg

Edited by Field

Field,

Your pics are not working.

When using the mallet you need to lay the slide across the palm of your hand, not a table, with the top of slide against the palm.

As for the spring, you can use a 1911 mainspring as the removal tool.

Field,

Your pics are not working.

When using the mallet you need to lay the slide across the palm of your hand, not a table, with the top of slide against the palm.

As for the spring, you can use a 1911 mainspring as the removal tool.

fixed some of the pics.

i dont have a 1911 mainspring, i dont have a 1911

Edited by Field

How's it going Sam?

Check it out after you have removed and cleaned it and put it back in. Sometimes gunk builds up that reduces your extractor tension. It also could have gotten a burr that you would probably be able to feel with your finger or nail.

More likely, you just had some problems with cases that were not sized properly and they stuck in your chamber. Are you gauging all your reloads? I had a failure to extract recently and I bet it was from a case with a bulge at the base and corresponding tight fit. It was during a match and I lost track of the round. No problems since. I'm igonoring it until more failures come.

gordon

The red color comes from the heat treat process.

Have you had a case failure? Case failure would be my first thought if it has lost that much tension. You can bend for more tension but that's only going to last for just a short while. A new one would be the best solution.

Rich

The other poster who said main spring is meaning to say sear spring.

You can not buy one from Springfield Armory. They told me a qualified tech must install the extractor. "You will have to send your gun to us", she told me.

I discovered this when I attempted to place an order for spare parts. (nothing wrong with mine . . . . yet)

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

You know what I did was I got another xdm9 so now i got 2 and then i can send the junky old one in to get fixed while i use the new one. GOOD IDEA HUH.

Actually I think is IS a good idea. How many of these guys who shoot in competition only have ONE gun? From now on, when you get the older one back, you will have a spare so if something breaks you will have an identical pistol to carry on with to the next stage. Same mags, same holster, same ammo.

And by the way... I remember Field from the XD forums when he shot his first competition. Now he has some vids up there and the other day I was looking some of them over. All I can say is atta boy Field!!! You have progressed marvelously and if you keep going you will be a GM one of these days. It hasn't been that long and you have passed up many of us!