Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which used gun is a better value?

z06pilot

I posted a topic earlier about a tuned, lightly used Brazos SC (10-12k rounds). I can now get that gun for $2400 with 10 mags, 4 of which have been tuned.

Or, I can get a used Edge that has just had a lot of work done on it: accurails, accutrack barrel (looks like the infinity sight tracker barrel), and has been Ion bonded. It has about 3K rounds through it since comming back from the smiths. I can get that for $1750 with 4 mags.

Or, I could buy new which is the best value?

Assuming no problems, the Edge might be the better value...lower round count, IB finish, less expensive, etc, etc. Without knowing the exact condition, and who did all the work it's really hard to say. I wouldn't shy away from one of Bob's guns with 10K on it though...that's got lots of life left. R,

I won't buy a gun with Accurails.

They do work as advertised, but I've heard of too many that broke, or caused other problems. If you ever need to replace the slide, or frame, expect to spend extra time and money sending the gun away for new rails.

Most of the time Acc-u-rail is used to tighten up a gun that is otherwise very loose. I had Doug Jones do an Open gun I bought, when you leaned it to one side you would hear the slide falling to the other side. Doug did a great job and the gun was tighter than dicks hat band. I had to take some finishing compond to loosen it up a bit. The gun shot the tightest group I've seen 1/2" at 25 yards. I sold the gun to the president of a local club and he has been very happy with it, and while he is a little fly by the seat of the pants he has not broken anything yet. I think that acc-u-rails serve a purpose and they work but if you go to sell the gun, most people don't know enough about them and they will shy away.

The two guns you are looking at are very different in how they feel when you shoot them. The lighter Brazos has more of a feel like shooting a 9 mm, a bit faster reacting than then Edge with the heavier slide. So that said do you know which feel you prefer.

I'm with Bart, Bob builds a good gun, and 10k isn't much. When I'm shooting limited full time I shoot at least 2K per month so you are looking at 5 months worth of shooting. The Brazos gun by itsself is worth $2,000 (and that is a smoking hot deal) and the mags just roughing the value low is another $500. Buy it sell 6 of the mags and use the other 4.

When I was shooting Limited I always wanted a Brazos, but then I went to open, and I think I still want Brazos but an open gun.

It's not just the first cost you should consider but also the price you can get if you decide to sell the gun later.

I had a 5" Brazos SC Open Blaster that I shot for four years. It was used when I bought it. I sold it when I bought one of Bob's SX models. I ended up selling the SC for a net loss of $16 over four years including shipping costs. $4 per year to shoot a Brazos is a pretty good deal. :)